Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What do you plug a tank with when derusting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you plug a tank with when derusting?

Hey folks,

It's yer problem child back again with more questions on his Katana. So, I'm working on derusting the tank, now that I've located the culprit for my dirty carbs. Took the tank off, took out the float, filters, petcock, everything. It's a straight on, vanilla tank. So, I'm going to set up the electrolysis deruster, and I got a bunch of questions.

When using a battery recharger, when I test it with my voltmeter, there's no voltage, unless it's attached to a battery. I guess when I insert the electrode, it should still function correctly?

And the main question,

How do you seal the bottom holes?

Originally posted by davekat View Post
    Hey folks,

It's yer problem child back again with more questions on his Katana. So, I'm working on derusting the tank, now that I've located the culprit for my dirty carbs. Took the tank off, took out the float, filters, petcock, everything. It's a straight on, vanilla tank. So, I'm going to set up the electrolysis deruster, and I got a bunch of questions.

When using a battery recharger, when I test it with my voltmeter, there's no voltage, unless it's attached to a battery. I guess when I insert the electrode, it should still function correctly?

And the main question,

How do you seal the bottom holes?

1. Battery charger or power source must be NON-automatic. If it's an auto battery charger (shuts off when fully charged) then it will just not work as it's turning off immediately.

2. I leave everything on the tanks when I do the electro process. So it's sealed. The only thing I remove is the cap/lid so it's not in my way and fill from the top like normal. I use a 2 liter coke bottle or funnel to insert the electrode and bend it into an S shape so I get more in and it doesnt' touch the tank.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      1. Battery charger or power source must be NON-automatic. If it's an auto battery charger (shuts off when fully charged) then it will just not work as it's turning off immediately.

2. I leave everything on the tanks when I do the electro process. So it's sealed. The only thing I remove is the cap/lid so it's not in my way and fill from the top like normal. I use a 2 liter coke bottle or funnel to insert the electrode and bend it into an S shape so I get more in and it doesnt' touch the tank.

Krey
      Would a 5-12 volt constant powersupply do the trick then, or do I need a current?

Comment

Originally posted by davekat View Post
        Would a 5-12 volt constant powersupply do the trick then, or do I need a current?

You can make a computer power supply work for this even, as long as it's constant.

Your question is a bit confusing though... if you have voltage you should have some kind of current flowing...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The POR15 kit is so easy and simple...
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            The POR15 kit is so easy and simple...

I agree 100% but...

I still prefer the electrolysis process on heavily rusted tanks and in my experiance get a much better over all end product with the por-15 that way.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              I agree 100% but...

I still prefer the electrolysis process on heavily rusted tanks and in my experiance get a much better over all end product with the por-15 that way.

Krey
              You probably know this already. Even if you perform electrolysis it is wise to coat the tank unless you keep it full.

I have found swishing around ball bearings and Varsol to break up any rust and then use the Por 15 kit works great. I actually had a leaking tank. Por 15 will actually converts the rust as well.

Good luck.
              Keep the black part down and the shiny part up.

Comment

Where can you get the POR15 around Dallas at?

Comment

Working...
                X