X

Chain and sprocket conversion kits...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain and sprocket conversion kits...

I have an 1100F 1988... chain and sprockets needs changing.. just found out how:

1) hard a 532 chain is to find
    2) how much more expensive it is

I did a search in here and online and eBay and I keep seeing mentions about conversion kits, but I've yet to find a place that actually sell them

I'd like to go to a 530, and while I saw the mentions that a 530 should run on the 532 sprockets, it's mentioning added wear on the chain.

Now, I'm not a heavy user of the bike, I don't abuse it, nor hard on it (I go to work with it and the occasional drive around) and I don't push her at all.

So the question is, where can I find these parts/kits?
    JPG
    1988 GSX 1100F

as per our conversation in PM, I suggest this conversion kit. it is an o-ring chain and keeps stock gearing.

there are other conversion kits by RK, which is a better quality, but they change your gearing quite a bit. if you go with them, you can never go back to stock cuz your chain will be wayyyy too short. with this kit, you can run that chain for a couple of seasons, then when a new chain is needed, just pick up a quality chain the right length. you can also get a new chain BEFORE this on is finished, then cut it shorter to experiment with other gearing.

if you do go with an RK kit, you need to know how the gearing performs. I did one of these in the past, and was disappointed with the gearing.
    Last edited by Mojoe; 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The one you posted mentions 1989-1993 models.

My bike being a 1988, will it fit?
      JPG
      1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

yup.....not a problem. they just didn't list the 88 cuz the gearing is different. if they listed it as 88-93, then the 88 owners would holler about the gearing not being the same. it is the same engine, and the same rear wheel, so it has to fit.

Comment

I'd say that the one concern would be the price... very low, but what's the quality of the parts?

I gather from your message that you've tried them already?

By the way, where can I find the RK kit?
          Last edited by imfallen_angel; 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM.
          JPG
          1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

there is an RK kit as well. just found it on Ebay. the ones on bikebandit are the wrong gearing...or non-stock gearing. this one on ebay is the 15/52 stock gearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
              yup.....not a problem. they just didn't list the 88 cuz the gearing is different. if they listed it as 88-93, then the 88 owners would holler about the gearing not being the same. it is the same engine, and the same rear wheel, so it has to fit.

what is the differance in the gearing?
              1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
              2004 Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by KYOTE1 View Post
                what is the differance in the gearing?
                I believe the 88 has a 48t rear sprocket, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

Here i the uk instead of buying an overpriced conversion kit we just buy gsxr sprockets with the correct number of teeth & a chain to suit, doing it this way means that you can buy the 3 different parts from 3 different suppliers if need be & reduce the price considerably
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Sounds good. I think the main concern is that the sprockets actually fit.

You'd think that manufacturers would make it easier to know what sprockets can fit which models.

So from what I read here and seen online, the 88 to 93 uses the same sprockets for both the back wheel sprockets and front sprockets, and that includes both the GSX 1100F and GSX 1100R...

Someone please correct me if this is not correct.
                    JPG
                    1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

according to the manual on page 9

the 1988 had a 15/52 gear setup

Comment

I just got done converting mine using the RK conversion kit after finding out the stock 532 chain from the dealer was $290!!! I bought the whole kit for less than $200 and that included an extra front sprocket which was 14T rather than the stock 15T. Bottom end is better and I haven't found the change in the top yet since the top was already much higher than I plan to reach for!! I may go to a 13T but I am going to wait until I re-jet and do the exhaust.

The conversion is pretty easy and you'll be happy in the long run that you did it!!
                        Brian "b-man"
                        '93 Katana 1100

Comment

At the risk of sounding stupid here...

Is there a difference between just getting sprockets (and the proper chain) that will fit your bike and a "conversion kit"?
                          JPG
                          1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

Originally posted by imfallen_angel View Post
                            At the risk of sounding stupid here...

Is there a difference between just getting sprockets (and the proper chain) that will fit your bike and a "conversion kit"?
                            The Big kat uses a 532 chain which is very rare and very expensive so most people convert them to the 530 chain and sprockets.

Comment

530 Conversion is Great!

I bought separate components for this and found them to be wonderful. What surprised me most was the decrease in vibration! I used a 14 tooth front, and a 48 tooth rear. Took 1 link out of the 120 link chain for max adjustment, and thereby took about 1.25" out of the wheelbase in the process. This little bit makes a big difference in cornering feel. Wish I had done this when I bought my 1st 1100 in '89. Now on my second, a '92, having had to sell my '89 (thanks, ex-wife!). I also find Dunlops to be more to my liking than OEM and Metzlers. Just put on some new ones that seem to have a rounder profile than Metzlers (Just went thru 2 pairs of them, with scalloping on the front and premature flattening of the rear.).

Comment

Working...
                              X