X

Gearing change for touring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing change for touring

Hi! I'm new to the Katana, and this forum, but old otherwise I have just purchased a 2006 Katana 750 in new condition with under 2000 original miles. to make a long story short, it's been in a shipping crate for years. I want to use the bike for touring (camping) only but after a first ride (purchased it with the carbs stopped up from storage, never rode it till now) I felt like it has about 3 too many gears. Compounding the problem is the fact that the bike that I'm used to is a V twin cruiser. I have done a lot of searching and found that most people are concerned with acceleration when it comes to gear changes so its hard to tell what is a good ratio. Does any of the members of this forum have a good combination of front and rear sprockets for just touring around site seeing? I'm hoping that I don't have to try multiple sprockets and chains to get what I want. I have a feeling several people already know a good combo. Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by lovecamping View Post
    Hi! I'm new to the Katana, and this forum, but old otherwise I have just purchased a 2006 Katana 750 in new condition with under 2000 original miles. to make a long story short, it's been in a shipping crate for years. I want to use the bike for touring (camping) only but after a first ride (purchased it with the carbs stopped up from storage, never rode it till now) I felt like it has about 3 too many gears. Compounding the problem is the fact that the bike that I'm used to is a V twin cruiser. I have done a lot of searching and found that most people are concerned with acceleration when it comes to gear changes so its hard to tell what is a good ratio. Does any of the members of this forum have a good combination of front and rear sprockets for just touring around site seeing? I'm hoping that I don't have to try multiple sprockets and chains to get what I want. I have a feeling several people already know a good combo. Thanks for your help!
    15/41. You can cut the chain you have now down to fit that.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey! I'll give that a try. First gear on this bike reminds me of the old farm trucks with the "granny gear" as people used to call it. I have trailer hitches on most of my bikes, but I still think it is way too low geared even if
      I put a hitch on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovecamping View Post
        Thanks Krey! I'll give that a try. First gear on this bike reminds me of the old farm trucks with the "granny gear" as people used to call it. I have trailer hitches on most of my bikes, but I still think it is way too low geared even if
        I put a hitch on it.
        One thing I've noticed is people tend to associate the RPMs with that of a car or other low rev vehicle.

Just FYI... these bikes a slow low rpm easy peasy cruise rpm is 5-8k rpms... and regularly for most times running the bike 8-10k rpm is actually recomended at least once a ride.

I put around at 6k... If I'm in the curves, I tend to keep it over 8k...

I mention this cause even on my bike geared for low high speed/more take off at 15/50 sprocket... my first gear tops out around 45mph+.

Krey
        Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-26-2017, 10:07 PM.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hey Tim! How are you guys?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
            Hey Tim! How are you guys?
            We are doing great Dan, how's things out your way?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

I'd say wait before you change your gearing. On my 1100, I went down to a smaller rear sprocket , kept it that way for a long time, then went back to stock.
              Why?
              These bikes are inherently buzzy and at least on mine, there was a resonance that was moved up into the speed where I cruise with a smaller rear sprocket.
              That could happen to you.
              Fwiw, I have a Morgan carb sticks, I keep it synced , gel grips, gel gloves. The best fix was my '11 concours 14.
              Anyhow, get bike sync'd, take out for a spin. These bikes like cruising at high rpm like a dog likes to go for a walk.

Comment

Working...
              X