No announcement yet.
X

750 Kat cases/ GSXR top end--Possible?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 Kat cases/ GSXR top end--Possible?

I need a head for my '97 750 Katana. I have 2 '91/'92 GSXR750 parts motors. Can I use my Katana cases/crank/connecting rods with a Gixxer head? Would I need the Gixxer cylinders/pistons or the stock Katana parts. And would I use the GSXR cams with the Katana sprockets? Is this even possible or am I . I searched and found references to using '86/'87 GSXR parts on the Kat motor, but not the later years. Thanks in advance for any input.

no, the pre 98 Katana 750 is the short stroke "slingshot" engine 44.72mm. the GSXR 750 91-92 are the longer stroke 48.7mm. 86-87 parts are about the same stuff that's in Katana engines, upgrades come with the 88-89 GSXR 750, that's the years the GSXR was a "slingshot" 44.7mm, too
    Last edited by arsenic; 02-02-2009, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the bottom end of my "new" Gixxer motor is good.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        no, the pre 98 Katana 750 is the short stroke "slingshot" engine 44.72mm. the GSXR 750 91-92 are the longer stroke 48.7mm. 86-87 parts are about the same stuff that's in Katana engines, upgrades come with the 88-89 GSXR 750, that's the years the GSXR was a "slingshot" 44.7mm, too
        what is Suzuki's "Slingshot" engine. Why do they call it that? I've heard that term here and at Maximum Suzuki.
        Last edited by squiggy; 02-02-2009, 02:59 AM.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the "slingshot" is a short stroke engine, hence the name "slingshot"

Comment

Do you know the years and models? Or can you direct me to that listing?
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the 89-97 Katana 750 is the 88-89 GSXR 750 is. The 88-89 GSXR 750 is the offical "slingshot" that's were the term comes from.

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Incorrect again while the 88-89 on bikes are slingshots its got nothing at all to do with the engine itself

What it actually refers to is the carbs, look it up instead of guessing fella
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Comment

the 89-97 Katana 750 is the 88-89 GSXR 750 is. The 88-89 GSXR 750 is the offical "slingshot" that's were the term comes from.
                      So can a 86-89 GSXR head be used on a 97 kat750? I ask because I just looked at my 2 GSXR motors. The one that I got with the bike has a 86-89 head (I think- it is grey and has screw type valves, not shims), but the cases have a serial number that my local dealer said is a 91/92 gsxr. Is there a way to tell what year a head is?

Comment

yeah if it screw type valves its 86 to 90 if it's 1990, it won't work.

Comment

Is there a way to tell what year it is?

Comment

look at the con rods and see if it's a long stroke or short stroke, you can tell by cylinder height too.

Comment

I just had a chance to look at my parts motors. Both of the gsxr motors have 13 Fins and are stamped 749cc on the cylinders. One gixxer has screw type valves in the head, and the other has shim type valves. One of those is mismatched, correct? The Katana motor has 11 fins and is stamped 748cc.

Both gsxr cases have serial numbers that start with R716. Is the correct head for the cylinders the shim type?

Comment

Working...
                              X