X

The Wash

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wash

ok, when completely washing my bike is there anything i should be aware of? things to do/not do
    Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

I use a pressure washer...never any issues...just make sure there is no grit on your rags!

NEVER use dish detergant

NEVER armor-all tires

NEVER use plastic cleaners such as windex on windscreen (or your visor)

DRY with a chamois

spray chain with WD-40 immediatly afterwards (to displace water) and re-lubricate

Plan to spend around 45 minutes...take your time...do it in the shade if possible.

Have girls in Bikinis help and take pics!

Comment

I don't know . It seems evey time I wash my bike , my chain breaks the next time I go for a ride ...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

alright, thanks. and sorry to hear that md
        Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

Comment

Originally posted by somainevent
          never be sorry for MD...he gets to ride with Babs...and now Slim has taken a shine to him

Comment

Originally posted by Range
            never be sorry for MD...he gets to ride with Babs...and now Slim has taken a shine to him
            Scrary thought...

Why not use Windex on screen or visor? Also lube your chain I don't wd it. take your time, take your time, take your time.
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
              Scrary thought...

Why not use Windex on screen or visor? Also lube your chain I don't wd it. take your time, take your time, take your time.
              the windex has solvents that can cloud the plastic over time

best way to clean a visor...regular dishsoap...full strength about a dimes worth..rub it in with your fingers..cover every surface...let it sit...rinse off...perfect every time (you might need to scrape a bit with your fingernails)

Comment

i detail cars/bikes/trucks for a living and when we get a bike in we useually spray the whole thign with a tire acid if you can get it if not a good strong rim cleaner will get it down to the paint ...then after you wash it if there is any tar on the paint get soem wd-40 and spary that on and ill take it off(works GREAT on cars) just make sure you wash that spot again b4 you wax it ....if you want a nice good shine on plastic parts get some vinyel dressing NOT ARMORAL try some pledge or a strict vinyel dressing so it wotn be greasey ..if you need anything else let me know ...

Comment

I use the "mist" spray on my hose, and do the hard work with elbow grease.

Simple Green is a great cleaner, and works on darn near everything in various strengths.

In Northern climates, wash with cold water, not warm, if there is a chance that road salt could be on the bike. Warm water will make the salt more active against your paint.

Take it easy on the volume of water--especially over the seat area where the battery is. Water and electrics = bad things, man.

Create a "system" so that you can do the same things each time. Similar towels for washing, waxing, drying, plastics vs. vinyl, etc.

Clean your wheels, but with your muscles, not with cleaners.

That's about all I can think of...for now.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

That new Mr. Clean spot free wash is great for cars and bikes.
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

the honda polish works great, so does all the mequires products. never had a problem with them.

if you've got an aftermarket windscreen, the polish recommended by the manufacturer works great..that way you cover ur arse if anything should happen. Plus it helps keep restore the gloss and keep it nice and shiny, no swirl marks.

i always lube the chain when im doing washing it ,and most definately dry it off completely with a dry, soft, towel.

i'd probably stay away from puttin amour all on the tires as well..thats probably a good idea.

Comment

Have girls in Bikinis help and take pics!
                        What Range really means here is get the blow up doll out of the closet. Blow her up and when you are done rinsing the bike let the air out of the doll to blowdry the bike. Oh BTW forget the pics....it could be embarrassing.

Comment

meguiars makes a plastic cleaner/polish in a spray that works great for windshields and visors. i use it on a dark smoke visor and a clear one, and also used it on my smoked windscreen when i had the Kat and it takes the light scratches out too.

Comment

I havent used it in years but what about S-100 is it still around? I havent seen it but I remember it worked great

Comment

Originally posted by NY Kat
                              I havent used it in years but what about S-100 is it still around? I havent seen it but I remember it worked great
                              Still around . See ads for it in all the bike mags and at the local Wal-Mart wanna-be store .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X