X

kit install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kit install

around march i wanna put my ivans kit on the carbs.trouble is i've never done it before.anyone in or near the jackson,tn area feel like showing me how?i will come to you.i'll bring beer

Its not as hard as people think it is, I did mine in my garage. Its just a matter of taking your time and following very simple instuctions from Ivan and people on here are very helpful with questions you have along the way.

Comment

There's a how-to for the install at my website (with pics), listed on this page:
      CyberPoet's Katana-specific webpages & Kat how-to's

It shows the how-to with a dynojet kit, but the Ivan's is identical or simpler (ignore everything about the K&N air filter -- stick to the stock air filter: so sez Ivan).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The hardest part about doing the jet kit is drilling the caps on the fuel screws. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

The second hardest part will be getting all the screws loose....
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

thats the part that worries me.^well....first time for everything

Comment

All you need is a small impact driver, like so.

Works the charm!
            Change out the screws once you've got them out. I used socket head stainless steel cap screws.
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

easy, I drilled a little to far on one of the carbs, to get the cap out , and drilled into the head of the mixture screw, but there was enough of the phillips head still left that I could still turn it. I had trouble hooking up the throttle cables to the carbs. Putting the jet kit in the carbs is easy, its taking the carbs off and on is whats kinda hard. Get some neddle nose vise grips to get the bowl screws out , very easy if you have those.

Comment

TIP:
                A set of medical locking forceps (sometimes called heliostats) make getting the throttle cables on and off at the carb end much, much (MUCH) easier. Definitely worth the $1-$5 or so you can get them for at most flea markets or ebay. You want a 6" to 10" long version.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

One thing I really liked about Ivan's kit is that it comes with new allen head float bowl screws. You will more than likely strip a float bowl screw or two. If you do, heres my way of getting them off without trying to drill the screw.

I used my craftsman rotary tool with a carbide cut-off wheel. I cut two slots in the head of the stripped screw diagonal to each other almost all the way down to the bottom of the head. Basically making an extreme phillips head. Then found a screwdriver that fit in the deepened slots and turned very carefully.

Good luck with the install.
                  Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Drastion
                    One thing I really liked about Ivan's kit is that it comes with new allen head float bowl screws. You will more than likely strip a float bowl screw or two. If you do, heres my way of getting them off without trying to drill the screw.

I used my craftsman rotary tool with a carbide cut-off wheel. I cut two slots in the head of the stripped screw horizontal to each other almost all the way down to the bottom of the head. Basically making an extreme phillips head. Then found a screwdriver that fit in the deepened slots and turned very carefully.

Good luck with the install.
                    I'll usually cut a notch in the screw with a cut off wheel, then use a screw driver and a hammer to "push" them out.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                      I'll usually cut a notch in the screw with a cut off wheel, then use a screw driver and a hammer to "push" them out.
                      Thats a good one, I'll have to remember that.
                      Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

The dremel is a last-ditch thing for me (i.e. - the third step) for stuck float-bowl screws.

Step 1 is using a small pair of vicegrips on the outside of the screw. This virtually always works -- and since there are replacement screws, it's a no-brainer. Fast, efficient; if I can turn them 1/4 turn, they'll come out the rest of the way with a regular screwdriver.

Step 2 is smacking with an impact driver & bit.

Step 3 is the dremel solution listed above.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          The dremel is a last-ditch thing for me (i.e. - the third step) for stuck float-bowl screws.

Step 1 is using a small pair of vicegrips on the outside of the screw. This virtually always works -- and since there are replacement screws, it's a no-brainer. Fast, efficient; if I can turn them 1/4 turn, they'll come out the rest of the way with a regular screwdriver.

Step 2 is smacking with an impact driver & bit.

Step 3 is the dremel solution listed above.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Well , I switch 1 &2 , but same thing .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                          X