X

1993 Katana 600 cranks but doesnt start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Katana 600 cranks but doesnt start

I recently trade my old bike to a 1993 katana 600. I am not a great mechanic, but I can learn quick. It ran just fine, even rode around a little bit. I started it a few times after that, I didnt let it run long, maybe 30 seconds. The problem is that it wont turn over!!! The guy I got it from said he just changed the spark plugs a few months ago. It has a stage 3 jet kit in it ( I dont know if that has anything to do with fouling the plugs really fast or not). any suggestions?? I have to ride this weekend, its the last time I can ride before it gets too cold. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    I wanna go fast!

I'd be very suspicious of the "stage 3" jetting. That's for a bike with a full aftermarket performance exhaust and pod filters (which don't work well with Kats). Chances are, though that you can worry about the carb jetting later if it ran before. For now, get that battery fully charged or start the bike by jump starting to a car battery (with the car's engine off).

You need good voltage on the battery to spin the engine and get a hot enough spark to start the engine. Starting the bike "a few times" and only running it for 30 seconds or so doesn't let the battery recharge after you've discharged it some by starting.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Also doesn't give the plugs enough time to come up to temp to self clean, so can result in fouling the plugs by starting it and not running it to temp multiple times.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks! I tried jump starting the bike with the car off. Still refuses to start. I bought all new spark plugs just in case. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and change those out? If so how hard is it to do so? I had the tank off last night and saw the plugs, is it necessary to remove the bar that is in from of the plugs, hopefully you know what I am talking about...
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

You don't have to remove that cross member, but it makes it a lot easier.

Comment

okay sorry fpr all the questions, i am new to riding (somewhat) but this is my first katana. I got BR8ES spark plugs, are those the correct ones? I also got a 5/8 inch spark plug wrench, is that the correct size? it doesnt seem to be catching the plug and I cant see down there to see whats going wrong..im a noob...
            I wanna go fast!

Comment

have you gone through the basics? Ensure it has spark and is getting fuel to the carbs?
              sigpic

Comment

the only thing I knew to do was to smell the exhaust for gas, which it does.
                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Of course the exhaust smells like gas, engines burn gas.

Pull the plugs, see what they say.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

check to see that there is fuel coming out of the petcock, or at the fuel filter, also just unhook the spark plug wire stick your finger in it and crank it (NO I can't do that, it's only fun if witnessing first hand) put a screwdriver in the spark plug wire then hold the handle of the screw driver so you can get the shaft about an inch from the engine. Crank and see if there's spark.
                    sigpic

Comment

I cant gdet these plugs out for the life of me!!!!! Ive tried 5/8 plug socket and the next two sizes up, nothing catches!!
                      I wanna go fast!

Comment

You need a thin wall socket to get them out..

Comment

I got it running!!! I changed out the spark plugs (that was unnecessarily frustrating) and it started right up!! thanks for all your help guys!!
                          I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                          X