X

another noob question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another noob question

Hey I feel noobish asking this. I have 96 kat 600. When you change the oil. The oil filter has a black casing over where you wrench it off/on. Does this casing just pop off if yanked hard enough? Basically what step gets you the the pic in the manual where you attach the wrench.

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
    Hey I feel noobish asking this. I have 96 kat 600. When you change the oil. The oil filter has a black casing over where you wrench it off/on. Does this casing just pop off if yanked hard enough? Basically what step gets you the the pic in the manual where you attach the wrench.

I don't think you have a secondary cover. The filter is what your looking at...

An oil filter wrench is a tool that fits over the oil filter. If you don't have that tool seperately, then you won't get to the point of the picture in the manual.

It may be possible for you to just turn the filter by hand fyi. Just clean it off with a towel and try before warming up the bike. If you can loosen it slightly, then very lightly tighen it back, warm up the bike, then change the oil. At that point you can probably take the filter off with just a towel over it to hold it and turn it, or with gloves.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yeah that makes sense, If i had the oil filter wrench I probably would have understood. Thnx for the help thou

Comment

If you cant get it by hand punch a Phillips head screw driver thru it and turn.
        2002 yzf600r 35k, 98 katana 750 black 49k, 95 cobra blown

Comment

No, use a flathead!

Phillips, flathead, what difference does that make?! Yes, driving a screwdriver through the filter will give you enough leverage to break the thing free. It'll also make a huge mess if you're not ready for it. That thing is full of oil even when the engine's off. Have the drain pan underneath and a whole bunch of paper towels for your hands.
          Last edited by Wild-Bill; 03-25-2012, 08:41 PM.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
          X