X

Buffing out scratches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing out scratches?

The previous owner of my bike laid the bike down and there is a scratch across the right turn signal and across the Katana emblem. Whats the best way to buff that out to smooth the surface? Im gonna repaint the bike after to messin up the color isnt an issue.

Im thinkin it would just be better to replace the turn signal, cause I dont wanna make it cloudy from sanding. Opinions?
    sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

You don't specify how deep the scratch is - could you post a pic so some of the paint pros here on KR could make recommendations? If it is just a surface scratch, most would probably suggest wet sanding with 400 grit, a shot of primer, followed color and clear coats.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I think he is talking about the turn signal lens. I sanded and buffed out chemical paint stripper on a tail light, and it worked quite well. 80, 120, 800, 1000 grit paper , wet, then white rubbing compound with a hi-speed machine, and it looks great.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I misunderstood what he was looking to polish. Several companies make plastic polishing liquids that will remove haze and scratches (Eastwood comes to mind). I have also had decent success using Maguires mag polish and a felt wheel on the dremel.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

If it can be sanded out, it will buff. Just a little labor invovled.

Comment

Working...
          X