X

SS brake line ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS brake line ??

Do the stainless brake lines need replaced like regular lines at the normal manufacturer intervals?
    sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

if they have a rubber core then yes. you replace them because the rubber hardens & may crack. the SS lines just have an outer core to keep the line from expanding. that restriction in expansion should allow the lines to last longer.

at the speeds i run, i don't take that chance.

tim

Comment

What about teflon lines Tim...

Good question grslightn..
      I'm going to question Goodridge about mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        What about teflon lines Tim...

Good question grslightn..
        I'm going to question Goodridge about mine!
        well teflon is an interesting question - some use teflon as an outer coating ( over the braided SS ). but what is the inner core ?

seems some are saying they have a teflon inner core ?
        edit: i put galfer brake lines on my kat - here is their quote:

"Most OEM require that rubber lines be replaced every 3 years, Galfer lines will last the life of the bike."

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
          i put galfer brake lines on my kat - here is their quote:

"Most OEM require that rubber lines be replaced every 3 years, Galfer lines will last the life of the bike."
          No way...Is that under what conditions?? If that is true man I made the right choice..got Galfer's on my bike...first performance mod I made...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
            i put galfer brake lines on my kat - here is their quote:

No way...Is that under what conditions?? If that is true man I made the right choice..got Galfer's on my bike...first performance mod I made...
            i beleive the warranty is they'll replace the lines free of charge ( if installed by a mechanic ). what are the chances you'd still own the bike ?

tim

Comment

what if your bike came with SS lines (dual front actually) right from the factory?

Comment

Do the Galfer lines have rubber on both sides of the stainless?

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                  "Galfer’s steel braided brake lines are made of PTFE 62 Dupont-Teflon , around the inner Teflon we have 16 strands of steel braided cable (most companies only use 12) that allows for almost 0 expansion effect when applying pressure to the brake lever.

• All Galfer lines are coated with a clearor colored protective coat, protecting the line from the weather and the bike from scratches.
                  • All Galfer kits come complete with banjo bolts and washers for easy installation. Banjo bolts should never be torqued over 12 to 15 ft\lbs. "

from http://www.galferusa.com/lines.html

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                    "Galfer’s steel braided brake lines are made of PTFE 62 Dupont-Teflon , around the inner Teflon we have 16 strands of steel braided cable (most companies only use 12) that allows for almost 0 expansion effect when applying pressure to the brake lever.

• All Galfer lines are coated with a clearor colored protective coat, protecting the line from the weather and the bike from scratches.
                    • All Galfer kits come complete with banjo bolts and washers for easy installation. Banjo bolts should never be torqued over 12 to 15 ft\lbs. "

from http://www.galferusa.com/lines.html

tim
                    Thanks for the response. It makes sense that their lines would outlive OEM lines by far. The SS casing prevents the inner line from fatiguing due to the pressure cycles and the outer sleeve prevents UV and oxidation breakdown.

Comment

Personally, I'd still have issues leaving any part that sees the type of flexing a brake line sees on for "life"... They have to flex every time the forks compress/expand, every time the wheel gets turned.

Teflon gets a big thumbs up in my book, because it greatly reduces water penetration rates (about 1/3rd of the rate of standard rubber brake lines, which is why I always advise people to seek teflon-lined SS brake lines when they're shopping)... but I'm still leery of the lines lasting 10, 15, 20+ years. I'll replace mine again when I become suspicious, or they hit a ripe age IMHO. It's simply not worth the risk to me...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have heard that some SS lines break more easily than regular rubber lines because they can't flex as much when under high braking pressure, thus, they pop/crack open at a supposed 'weak link' within the line, and *squirt* - all your fluid is gone... and you crash or something...

Any truth to this?
                        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                          Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have heard that some SS lines break more easily than regular rubber lines because they can't flex as much when under high braking pressure, thus, they pop/crack open at a supposed 'weak link' within the line, and *squirt* - all your fluid is gone... and you crash or something...
                          I can't see them being more likely to fail than standard lines in any sense.
                          A standard line is synthetic rubber with a nylon weave inside. The failure point is normally from the rubber losing too many VOC's over time (effectively dry-rot) and forming a crack in the hose which permits loss of pressure/fluid. An SS line would be built of either similiar synthetic rubber (thus still prone to the same issue of VOC loss over time), or a teflon shealth layered over with synthetic rubber, or various types of teflon layered, and then all of that wrapped with a metal braided sheath. Unless the metal rusts and thus forms a sharp edge to induce a puncture, the loss rate for the VOC loss wouldn't be any higher for SS lines for any reason I could see...
                          I have heard tales of SS lines (and regular lines) failing at time of installation due to manufacturing defects (esp. ones fab'd locally on-demand rather than turned out by specialized firms), but never have heard of accelerated failure rates compared to stock lines aside from this.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks! I'll be getting some galfer lines now.

Trinc: what brake pads are you running?
                            sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

Originally posted by grslightn
                              Thanks! I'll be getting some galfer lines now.

Trinc: what brake pads are you running?
                              EBC HH+, but i'm going to try vesrah's on the superhawk.

tim

Comment

Working...
                              X