X

New chain and sprockets on the way!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chain and sprockets on the way!!!

Just went ahead and got this http://tinyurl.com/5rmx2g on order.Should be here in a few days.
    First of all, anything wrong with this setup before they ship for my 94 Kat 600. I got the 14 front 46 rear setup.

Secondly, I imagine I need to buy a tool to rivet the chain together right? Where should I get that from? JC Whitney has them pretty cheap I think....

Thirdly, my sprocket right now doesn't ride 100% in the center of the chain and I think the tips of the bolts that hold on the sprocket look like they've hit the swingarm before. Can I just put a washer or something on the left side of the wheel to space it over the right slightly?

Thanks in advance guys!
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

JD, I can get the tool if needed. Lemme know when you get the chain in and are ready, I'll just borrow the tool. unless you want to have one for your building bike collection.

As for the bolts. The rear sprocket bolts hit the swingarm? There should only be, from the outside left to right.
    Axel bolt head, behind that the adjuster plate, through the swingarm, into the CushDrive sprocket deal, the rim then the spacer followed by the swingarm, then the adjuster with a washer outside that then the nut and the cotterpin. Check the other one if in doubt.

There shouldn't be a need for anything more then that. If your finding that the sprockets not riding center of the chain, Check the alignment plates, but dont trust them 100%. I would check the alignment from the front sprocket to the rear.

If the alignment is true between the sprockets, Then I would double check the spacing of the rear swing arm to make sure it wasn't tweaked by the PO. If it was.. I dunno where you might have one of them laying around LOL.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

That sounds like a plan to me if you dont mind helping out.... again...lol.
      I actually would like to have you take it for a spin too if you dont mind. Im pretty confident everything is safe and running correctly but I would like someone else's opinion who #1 has been riding for a while and #2 already rides a Kat.

Yea im not sure about the swingarm thing. I first noticed it when I took the rear wheel off to get the tires mounted. What is your alignment procedure, do you use the string around the rear trick? I tried that but I dont like it as much as I would something like piece of bar stock or something. That being said, Ill be taking home a couple pieces of metal today from work if I can scrounge them up.

Oh yea, I can also give you your coil back. I found the issue with mine. When i took the wire off of plug #2 the wire pulled right out of the boot with almost no force. Must have just been barely in there which is why I was getting a cold #2 cylinder. Since I cut an inch off and rethreaded theres been no issues.
      1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Good deal on the plug, Glad it was something simple. I usually try to use a straight edge from the from to rear sprocket. 3/4 bar stocks usually enough to get inside the front cover without needing to remove it. Let me know when the chain gets here, I'll check my work schedule and let you know what days are free.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Hey sounds good. I was going to just buy the tool but it looks like its around $75 for it which if possible I would like to avoid right now. Bike budget is just about empty for a little while. This will have to be last project for the next couple months.... unless something breaks, lol.

Comment

Working...
          X