X

First Long Ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Long Ride

I'm considering going on an approximately 1600 mile trip each way on my post Kat 600. I've never done more than about 100 miles in a day at most and I'm wondering what your thoughts are and perhaps what your first long trip was like. Also, how much would I need to do in preparation? I expect I would need to make quite a few stops and probably spread out the trip over 2-4 days.

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
    I'm considering going on an approximately 1600 mile trip each way on my post Kat 600. I've never done more than about 100 miles in a day at most and I'm wondering what your thoughts are and perhaps what your first long trip was like. Also, how much would I need to do in preparation? I expect I would need to make quite a few stops and probably spread out the trip over 2-4 days.

Experiance... start planning day trips now that you take rides for 200, 300, 400 miles in a single trip.

Those will help you out alot for the longer trip.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Experiance... start planning day trips now that you take rides for 200, 300, 400 miles in a single trip.

Those will help you out alot for the longer trip.

Krey
      The biggest adjustment will be for the tolerance buildup of you butt to stay seated for that much longer....lol

Kreylyn is right, the best experience is to start building up to it. When I got my bike back on the road, I did just that, 100 thne 200 then 300 and so on as part of day trips. This works two ways, shakes down the bike and you learn your limitations and needs. So subsequently, each trip you are a little better prepared for... Mine you, I used to do the weekend rides (3days) with friends for like 1000 miles each day...
      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

I love touring on a bike. Pay attention to the little comfort things. Pants designed for riding are definitely worth it to avoid chafing and good gloves go a long way to avoid numb hands. A throttle lock like the vista-Cruise helps because it lets you relax your right hand. I like tent camping better than having to find a hotel but there's definitely something to be said for not having to haul a sleeping bag and tent on your bike. Your choice, of course but something to think about.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

get off the bike often and walk around,before you get sore.on the other hand if do get sore suck it up and get over it

Comment

im working on some 100 mile trips as of now . i m a rookie i know . but im still having fun .
            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Cool deal - just the question i was thinking of asking! I want to build up miles per day as well. And Wild Bill, you sound like my kind of rider - where i would actually LOVE to just carry my tent and sleeping bag with me, i'm not using that passenger space anyway!!! haha, another cool thing for tents is that i have a single person tent that's about the size of the sleeping bag (if you know what kinda tent i'm talking about) so it's designed not to be a big burdened on the user! I'd love to make a cross country ride!

Comment

I've ridden cross country a few times, and agree to build up to 400-500 mile days before attempting that long of a trip. I used to ride 400-500 mile days 2 up with the wife when we lived in OR. Most of our rides were in the mountains, so U was used to moving back and forth across the seat in the corners a lot. Riding on straight interstate highways, where you tend to sit straight up, centered on the bike for hours at a time is an entirely different experience. Now I can ride for a full tank on my GSX-R (about 145-150 miles, stop for 10 minutes to fill the tank, smoke a cig, take in some fluids (gotta be careful not to get dehydrated especially on hot summer rides), and do it all over again. On a long ride, I generally try to hit the road a half hour or so before sunrise, and usually have 350 miles or so behind me by lunch time. With long summer days, I can get in around 750 miles comfortably by sundown, and 1100 miles in 19 hours. My best cross country time was 2460 miles from Lancaster, CA - Rock Hill, SC in exactly 49 hours. I could have made it much quicker, but usually I try to stick to within 5mph or so of either the posted speed limit or flow of traffic (whichever is faster), to avoid tickets.
                John,
                '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                sigpic

Comment

Get a air hawk + what was said above
                  Godspeed
                  CSBA #1167
                  Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

I would never ride my bike longer than I feel comfortable with. When it gets boring and tiering I just stop. Whats the point in riding if its not fun is my motto. Lots of miles to me doesnt mean anything and I pick my routes very thoroughly to avoid ANY highway riding if possible.

But thats just me. I usually get tired after 6-7 hours of riding including brakes which means about 4 hours of actual riding. that gives me about 300 miles of twisties pr. day. 1600 miles sounds like a lot of miles to me for recreational riding and having fun. Especiallt if youre doing it in a few days , that means lots of motorway.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Well I did about 500 or so miles entirely on the highway. On my way back, it took me about twice as long avoiding highways, but it was way more fun and scenic. There really weren't many twisties though. I searched quite a few websites, but couldn't find a way to plan a route with lots of twisties trying to get to a certain destination (DC to NH). On my way north I just took google's suggested fastest route and on my way back I took google's fastest route avoiding highways and tolls.
                      I guess there is no efficient way to have the most fun on your bike (twisties) and still make good time to a particular destination. I enjoyed the approximately 500 mile trip though, but I'm not sure it would really be worth it to go all the way out to IA from DC when I could fly for about the same price after considering gas, lodging, food, and wear and tear on the bike.
                      Last edited by Jcates888; 06-02-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Which way did you ultimately take???

Comment

In my world, I just go. Don't think much about it...but I don't recommend my world to others. Free spirited, you know?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I gree, the bset trips I have ever had were a basic destination and approx time of arrival...

Comment

With all respect, my best trips never had much of a set destination beyond arriving at my own front door eventually. There are a lot of open spaces in the Southwest, and the trips are as spiritual as they are mechanical.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                              X