X

89 problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 problem

im on a pre, and it's bogging on the highway after 4th then stalling, wont go over 70, would you say petcock filter? or carbs need tuning,
    R.I.P. RICHARD "BUCKITS" JACKSON IM GONNA R-I-D-E FOR L-I-F-E

Sounds like it's not getting gas. Certainly check your tank and petcock. I've seen pictures of clogged ones, not pretty. I think you can get a rebuild kit for them. You can probably just take it apart and reuse gaskets if they're not damaged.

Could be something else too. How do the plugs look? Can you check compression?

Comment

+1
      Look at fuel flow. I notice you're new to the forum. Does this mean you just got the bike? Has it ever run well for you or is this something new to the bike?
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
        Sounds like it's not getting gas. Certainly check your tank and petcock. I've seen pictures of clogged ones, not pretty. I think you can get a rebuild kit for them. You can probably just take it apart and reuse gaskets if they're not damaged.

Could be something else too. How do the plugs look? Can you check compression?
        That's what I was thinking is the petcock isn't filtering the gas into the carbs well enough, as I can get on the throttle and nottin happens just slow accel.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        +1
        Look at fuel flow. I notice you're new to the forum. Does this mean you just got the bike? Has it ever run well for you or is this something new to the bike?
        Yes, the bike is new, I crashed my previous one of this kind so I'm somewhat aware, plus i have a spare parts bike -forks... also, yes it ran well for the first oh 600 miles of me riding it, bike has 19k on it, and I've seen these bikes go for a while,so it's not motor trouble, only thing is the damn shop around here charges 300 bucks to get carbs cleaned.

Comment

600 miles isn't that much. Maybe enough to shake loose some stuff in the tank and clog the petcock filter. I'd take a good look at that first. Do you have in-line fuel filters?

If the bike ran well for 600 miles and then developed problems (without sitting in-between) then you probably don't have carb problems yet. Start with the tank.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Also, I noticed on this bike, the interior of the tank has rust in it, should I simply just switch the entire tank from my other bike, including petcock assembly's as like stated I have a complete rebuild minus forks.

Comment

You need to resolve the rust issue first, it's clogging your carbs up. If your other tank is good that would be a cheap quick fix.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                You need to resolve the rust issue first, it's clogging your carbs up. If your other tank is good that would be a cheap quick fix.
                Well, the rust isn't floating or anything of that nature, and I switched petcock's instead of full tanks(one off parts bike has some battle wounds) and it seemed to do the trick although I haven't actually ridden it, seemed to idle fine at 1k, and 1.5, but the rain hasn't been permitting riding hours.

Comment

Easy fix for the rust issue if it's not too bad is to empty the tank, pour some BBs in and roll them around for a while. Then rinse the tank out with water, let it dry and spray some WD-40 in there to drive the rest of the water off the metal.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    Easy fix for the rust issue if it's not too bad is to empty the tank, pour some BBs in and roll them around for a while. Then rinse the tank out with water, let it dry and spray some WD-40 in there to drive the rest of the water off the metal.

Next time I run it low on fuel I'll remember this method, was just thinking of going out and getting a new bb gun too how'd you know?

Comment

Working...
                    X