X

LOOKING FOR A TANK BAG......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian
    I have a Dell M50, 11"x14" (bigger with padding around it), and I couldn't find a tank bag that would work. I didn't look at magentic because of the HDD issue. I wound up buying a backpack, popping some grommets into it, and using cut-in-half bungee cords inserted through the grommets, with a knot on the inside to secure each cord (adjustable too ). Takes all of about 5 seconds to mount or unmount it, and I put mine right on top of the solo seat cowl. Just an FYI, wearing a backpack could be hazardous in an accident, especially with something hard like a laptop in it, you could break your back.
    Wow! Great minds think alike!! I'm working on sort of the same thing. I'll post some pics when I get it worked out. Take some pics and post 'em so I can see how it looks.
    sigpic

Comment

Here's the $7 Walmart backpack turned tailbag. The pictures are links to larger versions.

I bought some large grommets and a punch to install them and a 4', heavy duty bungy cord slightly smaller that the internal diameter of the grommets (total $5)

Cut the bungy in half so I could insert the cut ends through the grommets and tied a knot on the inside of each to set the length (hint, don't tie it too tight the first time in case it needs adjustment, those knots can be a b*tch to undo)

If I weren't so lazy, I might have done the same to the top corners of the backpack, however, I just use a smaller bungy looped through the pocket of the backpack for securing the rear to the (trimmed) fender ($1)

and secure the front to the luggage bar

I also had this foam case from another laptop bag I had that I put the laptop in first before the backpack to reduce vibration

And there you have it, a $13 laptop tailbag. It's worked great for about 2000 miles (up to 90 mph) of commuting so far. I had, up until a few days ago, the grab bar and solo cowl and had no problems using it with them installed. I carry a small trashbag in the backpack in case I run into a downpour, but the backpack weathers mild rain just fine without it.

Comment

Brian,

That looks good, but I think I found what I was looking for. Somebody mentioned Axio HardPack, so I checked NewEnough and liked what I saw.

They even show a PowerBook in one of the photos. And I think the curve might be managable on the tank. ('Busa tanks are kinda big)
        All I need to do is manufacture a couple of small hooks on either side of the tank to attach the bungee/straps. (I'm thinking straps). It fits the 17" just fine, and with the shock case I have it should be pretty snug. I'll see what the budget is like after I buy the new tire I need ( !!@%$#$#@%!! ), then I'll order it. I'll post pics if it turns out ok.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X