X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deranged:

I've got a couple of 1100 available engines now, one here and one at my brother's house in Ohio.

The one here is built

The one there is a new acquisition.

Both are early GSXR motors, the 1127 oil cooled versions. They fit right in!

I've got the word out for Bandit engines............still looking.

There is a Bandit forum somewhere on the 'net that had a few wrecked bikes..motors still good. The guys wanted $1500. I thought I'd offer them $1200 and see if they bit............but then I went back to work, so I lost time & interest.
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Hey keith,

I still got my bandit 12 sitting on my garage floor waiting for winter to do the swap. I have rebuit it. New rings, seals , gaskets, clucth, cleaned carbs. I cant wait to put it in. The motor come out of a 99 bandit 1200. Ive been patient but its killing me to wait till winter. Just wanted to talk about it. Talking about it helps the patience issue!!
      Im just glad ive got all you guys back so if I run into trouble or a snag you all can help the helpless one

Todd
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Looks like you and I will be PM'ing each other this winter!

Comment

Looks that way huh??? I cant wait!
          Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How much ya asking for one of them? And do I get free technical advice on the install? LOL
            If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Hey Keith, how do you slide the engine into the bike? Do you have a engine lift, or what do you use? Also, how much of the inside of the fairing did you have to cut away?
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Special K

Yeah..........I love a good sleepr. It's so fun to pull up to some punk on a GSXR 750 or a CBR and give 'em a run at it

that must be fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlytlyDeranged
                  How much ya asking for one of them? And do I get free technical advice on the install? LOL

Well, both engines are home in NC. PM me if you're seriosuly interested in one of them..............

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    Hey Keith, how do you slide the engine into the bike? Do you have a engine lift, or what do you use? Also, how much of the inside of the fairing did you have to cut away?

I use a bike lift......sort of has a platform on it that I rest the engine cradle on and I have engine stands I built that hold the cradles. (Guess a pic would od here, eh? I'll get one and add it......)

Cutting depends on each installation..............but usually involves the belly pans only....until you do the 1200 Bandit swap.........then it involves the inners also , but that really depends on the exhaust system you use.

I can do some photos.................of those details.

Comment

Re: INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

[quote="Special K"]I've installed a few different engines into Katana 600 frames. The following engines fit DIRECTLY and EASILY into any 89-02 600 or 750 Kat frame:

98+ Kat 600
                      98+ Kat 750
                      GSXR 1100 (the old 1127 motor)
                      Bandit 1200
                      Bandit 600
                      Early GSXR 750's

How early on the gsxr 750?

Comment

The GSXR 750 from 1986-1992 is what Special$K$ means. The oil cooled GSXR, no water cooled engines.

Comment

Yea..........I use the late 80's early 90's oil cooled motors only............too difficult to try the water buffalos!!!

Comment

Where is a good place to acquire motors online/offline??

Comment

OK here is an FYI for anyone thinking about doing a mod like this. Last night my roommate and I finished putting a 2001 750 Kat motor into his 2003 Katana 600 frame. we came across 2 (so far) big differences in the wiring harness.

1.) The signal generator on the 2003 harness uses a different 3 prong water proof plug than the 2001 motor. The solution is to swap the ENTIRE signal generator from the 2003 motor into the 2001 motor. Fairly easy. Take your time. You *could* just cut and splice the wires but I hate to cut and splice anything if I don't have to.

2.) the CDI unit on the 2003 harness uses a different waterproof plug that the 2001 CDI unit! The solution is to use the unit that goes with the 2003 harness. A 2003 600 CDI runs a 750 motor just fine it turns out. The bike was ran for 3 hours on the center stand and about 10 miles today around town. No problems!

Here is a pic of the two CDI units side by side so you can see the differences. BTW I know for a fact that the 2002 600 has the same CDI because I have a 2002 600 and I checked it. Add this to the "Things to Remember" when you are doing a motor swap!

Comment

CARBURETORS
                                I tend to think you always have to use the carbs that are with the engine. One exception to this I’ve found: When switching a 98+ Kat engine into a early Kat, I use the early Kat’s carbs, as the 98+ carbs have to have that TPS to work right! The pre 98 wiring harnesses don’t have it!
                                Sorry to ask but I'm curious...What's a TPS? is it a Throttle Position Sensor?

Comment

Working...
                                X