X

Rear Brake Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake Problem

I've had my bike torn apart all winter, and I'm finally getting it back together. The bike was on center stand and the rear wheel was off, and one night I hear a noise and see my youngest son pumping the rear brake. I knew when the time came, that this was going to be an issue, but never dreamed I would be this disgusted with it. For the life of me, I can't get the piston to compress enough to slide the caliper back over the disk. I'm not much of a mechanic to begin with, and this is really irritating me. I did refer to the manual, but its kind of vague when it comes to this. The C clamp I have is one I use on cages, and its too big to fit in there. Is there something I might be doing wrong or some trick I don't know about?
    If it aint broke fix it till it is

open the bleeder screw on the caliper and the piston should go back in much easier
    if you can close that bleeder again before the piston stops is best
    Bleed the system as normal

btw
    I like to put a wedge of wood in there to prevent that type of thing from being able to happen
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I normally remove the cover from the master cylinder to allow the fluid to run back up as the piston is pressed into the caliper.
      http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

Thanks guys. Not sure when ill have another free minute to work on this some more, but hopefully this advise helps me. Next time measures will definetly be taken to prevent this.

Comment

Im not sure if it will work but the way i do it is to pull the bleed screw then take one old brake pad and a normal nail hammer and pry the piston that way. Thats how ive always done it. Im not a big fan of c clamps
          2002 yzf600r 35k, 98 katana 750 black 49k, 95 cobra blown

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            open the bleeder screw on the caliper and the piston should go back in much easier
            This is what I have done as well.

Be aware that you also have 2 bleeder valves because the rear caliper is a twin piston design.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

try prying the pads apart with a screwdriver or pry bar (with old pads in place so you dont ruin good ones) and if it wont go open the bleader screw then pry. i say pry with the bleaders closed first as you wont have to blead the system afterwords, were you do need to when you open the bleader screw. ive never meet a caliper that couldnt be pryed apart. good luck
              if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can get out later this week and give it another shot.

Comment

Well I had a chance today to work on it, and after taking the advise given here I was able to compress it with little problems. Thinking I was finally going to be able to get to ride this thing after months of sitting (through a 70 degree winter no less) I finally get the rear wheel on and I think I messed up. It was a very tight fit getting everything squeezed in there, and after I did, I noticed I forgot something. I stand there scratching my head for an hour or so trying to figure out where it could go. I refered to the manual and saw nothing. There is no way in hell there is room for this anywhere that I see. I'm now worried that I did something wrong. Could anybody tell me where this goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrclean81 View Post
                    Well I had a chance today to work on it, and after taking the advise given here I was able to compress it with little problems. Thinking I was finally going to be able to get to ride this thing after months of sitting (through a 70 degree winter no less) I finally get the rear wheel on and I think I messed up. It was a very tight fit getting everything squeezed in there, and after I did, I noticed I forgot something. I stand there scratching my head for an hour or so trying to figure out where it could go. I refered to the manual and saw nothing. There is no way in hell there is room for this anywhere that I see. I'm now worried that I did something wrong. Could anybody tell me where this goes?
                    I did the SAME THING! Had to see the parts fiche on BikeBandit

That, good sir, goes between the rear wheel bearing and the sprocket cover. Take the wheel off, then the sprocket part back off, and the milled end goes towards the wheel.

Comment

I think it is the wheel spacer #8 shown here:
                      http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

Thank you. I think I remember that now that I think about it. The #8 spacer is on the bike now. That was the first thing I thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by wickeded View Post
                          I think it is the wheel spacer #8 shown here:
                          Nope, that is the front wheel. The part he had is for the rear wheel.

Part is #9 on this FIche.

Comment

redkat is correct. its a spacer for between the cush drive (sprocket cover) and the rim
                            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                              redkat is correct. its a spacer for between the cush drive (sprocket cover) and the rim
                              CUSH DRIVE>....that's what I was looking for and couldn't remember it.

Comment

Working...
                              X