X

Removing ignition switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing ignition switch

Hi guys, benn having a great time with the bike lately The key decided to grow legs and walk off somewhere a few weeks back and no matter how much i search its nowhere to be found. Since it seems the only way to get a new key is to pull the ignition and bring it to a locksmith i was attempting that. According to a post i found on here it should be a pair of T40 tamper proof torx screws holding the ignition in. However thats not what is on the bike (1995 kat 600) so now i'm trying to figure out just what the heck they did use. Its of course near impossible to get a good look at them so i was hoping someone on here might be able to give me a little help. Anyone??
    Thanks in advance.....the weather is supposed to suck for the next few days but i might still have a few rides left in the season. At the very least i need to be able to move it somewhere better for the winter.

I would recommend pulling the fairings and headlight to get a better look. Shouldn't take that long to do. Then you can either remove the ignition or jump the connectors. On a pre the ignition works by connecting two pairs of wires together. At least I've gathered this from the schematic.

If you can unplug it you should be able to figure out which ones go to which start it up.
    First motorcycle - new project
    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Thanks for the reply. A bit more searching yielded some more info. Looks like all the pre bikes have bolts with snap off heads holding the ignition and NOT T40 torx fasteners. Well that sounds like fun, at least i know now.

Comment

Mine must have been removed previously. It was just bolted in.

The hotwiring solution should get it running to the locksmith.
        First motorcycle - new project
        1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

They are security screws, that once they reach torque the heads snap off. Just use a drill and drill the heads off. The switch will come off and leave the stud, just remove them. Reinstall with new security screws.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            They are security screws, that once they reach torque the heads snap off. Just use a drill and drill the heads off. The switch will come off and leave the stud, just remove them. Reinstall with new security screws.
            +1

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thank guys, i pulled the plastic today so i can yank the ignition tomorrow and run it off to the locksmith. I sure wish i had the time to do that last week. The last 2 days were in the 60's VS the highs in the 30's we have been having. Oh well, i guess theres always next year.

Comment

Working...
              X