X

Slip-on Exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip-on Exhaust

Hi, I have a 98 Kat 750, still has the stock exhaust. I was thinking of adding an aftermarket slip-on. Just wondering 2 things. First, I would rather not have to do anything with the jets or carbs & second, is there a preferred brand or model for 750 kats to give the best sound or performance? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

You won't need to do anything with a slip-on exhaust. You just put them on and go. Nothing else is required.

The preferred brand is the one that sounds best to you at the right price. For my former Kat, a Good 'ol D&D was the best because I liked loud and cheap, just the way I like my women!
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Theres a yoshi RS3 for sale on the forum for $150.00. Great sound, not super loud and you'd be getting a GREAT deal on a yosh system.

Comment

I love my D&D but my first Kat had a Hindle and that was really good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
          You won't need to do anything with a slip-on exhaust. You just put them on and go. Nothing else is required.

The preferred brand is the one that sounds best to you at the right price. For my former Kat, a Good 'ol D&D was the best because I liked loud and cheap, just the way I like my women!

How does one have 22,000 posts and still reply with complete bull**** advice? This is just wrong.

Everytime you change the airflow either into or out of your engine, your fuel needs change as well. He'll need bigger jets for sure. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if the bike ran well at all after the change. It would be running dangerously lean and he'd risk damage to his engine.

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
            How does one have 22,000 posts and still reply with complete bull**** advice? This is just wrong.

Everytime you change the airflow either into or out of your engine, your fuel needs change as well. He'll need bigger jets for sure. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if the bike ran well at all after the change. It would be running dangerously lean and he'd risk damage to his engine.
            From my understanding the most restrictive part of the Kat’s exhaust is not the muffler and mid pipe but the header tubes. I can speak from expericane that you can put a slip on on and not adjust the carbs from factory at all. A lot of people will adjust the A/F mix screw but that is it for a slip on.

Comment

Neg. There are plenty of Kats here with slipons that perform just fine without rejetting..
              Last edited by Free Coffee; 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
              -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Kids, kids, stop the bickering. Actually some of the "street legal" mufflers are even more restrictive than the stock part. Thus "need" no jetting. You could benefit from a jet kit but that could be said of a totally stock Kat.

Comment

Yea, your right (I suppose). Although, I have no idea why anyone would purchase an aftermarket exhaust if it didn't provide more air flow. The stock dual pipes are a pretty sweet seamless design. I suppose it's possible someone could put on an aftermarket system with the exact same air flow as stock.

So, to clarify, if you purchase an exhaust that increases (or decreases) flow through the engine, you need to rejet.
                  Last edited by akarob; 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

WOW, sounds like it's up to you! Slip on for better sound and looks, re-jet for more power and drive-ability. Or both for the best of both worlds!
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                    Black painted seat and rear trim,
                    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

After I put on the midpipe and muffler I had to drill out the brass plugs and adjust the A/F mixture because I was getting popping on deccelleration. After they were adjusted it ran fine.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

hey katman what muffler did you go with?

Comment

Didn't see anybody mention Two Brothers Exhaust, but I have one on the way. Heard really good things about them from my friend who rides a zx-10!
                          2001 GSX600F Katana

Comment

You'll always benefit from a rejetting, but it isn't necessarily required for a set of slip-ons. If you'd looked closely before shooting off your mouth, I'd emphasized the word need with italics, which indicates that I'd recommend more, but that slip-ons can be installed as-is, without a re-jetting, as stated by others in this thread. Even the smallest change may result in odd behavior, like the popping. I personally like the popping on decel, but others may not.

Originally posted by doblerj14 View Post
                            From my understanding the most restrictive part of the Kat’s exhaust is not the muffler and mid pipe but the header tubes. I can speak from expericane that you can put a slip on on and not adjust the carbs from factory at all. A lot of people will adjust the A/F mix screw but that is it for a slip on.
                            You're correct. My Kat ran excellent after a D&D slip-on install and no other mods.
                            Last edited by Nero; 05-16-2010, 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by mixerman View Post
                              hey katman what muffler did you go with?
                              Yoshimura RS3, Not to loud but when you open it up she roars.
                              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X