No announcement yet.
X

How much is a Katana worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paid $200 for mine and i have close to $2000 into her shes ugly and all mine but reality i doubt ill get $600 but ill never sell her she lasted longer then anything else i ever owned

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
      That's too bad! You should dust her off, get her running again

She still runs perfectly?

Comment

My bad LAsunbird, I read your last post wrong. Though you said you hadn't been riding.

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
          Until death do us part out
          or that works too

Originally posted by muddyman184 View Post
          paid $200 for mine and i have close to $2000 into her shes ugly and all mine but reality i doubt ill get $600 but ill never sell her she lasted longer then anything else i ever owned
          weere on the same page lol.. ive never had a vehical longer than 6 months. other than my kat, which ive have for a year n a half now
          Last edited by boomer_95; 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Paid $750 for my Pre 600...Put another $700 or so into it getting it running right, and inspected. It had under 13k miles when I bought it in March, and now has a little under 14k. Only problem is the ugly purple seat and wheels, and the flat black (spray painted) fairings.

Comment

Easy fix, A little time and some good rattle can paint, done.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

you can't really focus on what you put into it. you need to focus on what you get out of it. you could pay $5k for an old 93 and most would think you are nuts, but if you get 10 years of relatively trouble free riding out of it, it could very have been worth the $5k you paid for it.

however, if you paid $5k for a 93 and it only lasted you 3 years and cost you another $1500 in repairs along the way, well then you got hosed.

in other words, it's all relative.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The average biker nowadays keeps a bike for less than 3 years Mike, just an interesting stat.

I could never sell my 636 because I wouldn't get enough for it to consider letting it go. It can sit in the garage
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So if I paid $2,100 for my 750, rode it for 5 years, put $400 into repairs, $250 into tires and then sold it for $1,850 when I found a nice 1100, it means...

...I had a lot of fun, right?
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                      you can't really focus on what you put into it. you need to focus on what you get out of it. you could pay $5k for an old 93 and most would think you are nuts, but if you get 10 years of relatively trouble free riding out of it, it could very have been worth the $5k you paid for it.

however, if you paid $5k for a 93 and it only lasted you 3 years and cost you another $1500 in repairs along the way, well then you got hosed.

in other words, it's all relative.
                      That's how I see it too. And even when a bike requires some tlc it can have value for everything you learn from it. (from recent experience )
                      Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      So if I paid $2,100 for my 750, rode it for 5 years, put $400 into repairs, $250 into tires and then sold it for $1,850 when I found a nice 1100, it means...

That adds up perfectly.
                      Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post

that's a decent deal.

how about this one...

bought my 93 katana after my 92 died, for $3k. it was mint. first summer I owned it, an old lady backed into it in the parking lot. $2200 or so in damage. got all the parts off ebay, in mint condition, except for the mirror that I bought new. $500 or so in parts and a day of my time. $1500+ in my pocket....means my bike cost $1500 instead of $3k.

then the next year the towing company drops it twice. another $2k in damages.....and again, because the bike was in such nice shape, they fix it. cost me around another $500....rest in my pocket.

owned the bike 4 years and made my $3k back off of it. all it cost me was maintenance. then I part it out and made around another $1500 off of it.

my last 92 was not so lucky for me, though. paid $3200 for it in mint condition. nice enough to win nicest kat and best in show at 09 rally, but dumped it the same day. it will cost me all of a grand to fix it back up with a nice paintjob. I will have well over $4k in. no choice in fixing it because $3200 is a bit too much to just write off. that bike is far from a "great deal", but hey....everyone has to screw themselves once in a while.
                        Last edited by Mojoe; 02-27-2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          The average biker nowadays keeps a bike for less than 3 years Mike, just an interesting stat.
                          I don't believe that stat applies to Canadians...at least not Quebecers. the majority of folks I know keep their bikes longer than that. one main reason is that it cost quite a bit to change. not only the extra cash you shell out for something newer, but the damn taxes you have to pay at the dmv. plus like I said before....short riding seasons.

I am sure the "3 yr" things plays a bit of a role here, but probably more with the the younger riders who are just starting out and want to upgrade. older and more experience riders are probably more apt to shop for a bike that they will keep for many years, just because it is more cost efficient to do so. don't forget, our bikes cost quite a bit more than they do in the US. If I could get a bike as cheap as they go for over there, and not have to pay the sales tax we do here, I would probably trade more often myself.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

I could never sell my 636 because I wouldn't get enough for it to consider letting it go. It can sit in the garage
                            I'm in the same boat with the kat. I'd be better off getting a corbin seat , an bandit motor and a set of ebay fairings (financially) than buying a new(er) bike.

^Mainly because the only bike I would want is something fuel injected and shaft drive (or a 2002+ vfr).
                            Last edited by LAsunbird86; 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I don't believe that stat applies to Canadians...at least not Quebecers. the majority of folks I know keep their bikes longer than that. one main reason is that it cost quite a bit to change. not only the extra cash you shell out for something newer, but the damn taxes you have to pay at the dmv. plus like I said before....short riding seasons.

I am sure the "3 yr" things plays a bit of a role here, but probably more with the the younger riders who are just starting out and want to upgrade. older and more experience riders are probably more apt to shop for a bike that they will keep for many years, just because it is more cost efficient to do so. don't forget, our bikes cost quite a bit more than they do in the US. If I could get a bike as cheap as they go for over there, and not have to pay the sales tax we do here, I would probably trade more often myself.
                              The 3 yr figure I quoted is for sportbike riders, so not katanas, not oil cooled, race bikes that are water cooled and fuel injected.

Basically it doesn't apply to old men like you guys
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ontario isnt to bad for taxes but for sure the short riding seasons plays in affect. mind you ive rode to work almost everyday this winter. but MOST people put them away around mid fall. i would guess it'd be closer to like 5-6 years here plenty of time to get your moneys worth out of an old bike
                                if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Working...
                                X