X

Neutral Safety Switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Safety Switch

ok, So i have a 2000 katana 600 and I have had the problem of it not being able to start and run or warm up while the stand is down. also the neutral light does not always come on when i know its in neutral....i dont know why but for the longest time i thought it was made that way. I have now com to the conclusion that the problem is the neutral saftey switch. My plan is to pull it out and clean it/replace if needed. Ive tried looking online to see if there is a tutorial on how to do this, but i can't find any for the katana. I was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step on how to remove it, and anything i need to do first. I think I read something about draining the oil, but the i read another thing about not needing to drain the oil, I figure the experts on Katanas would be here. Thanks for the help

you can search here onsite. are you sure the bulb is good? i have bypassed my kickstand switch because the spring is weak and the stand pivot is worn. i used a ScotchLok to the job. good luck.http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96195
    Last edited by KAT TOY; 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

yeah, the bulb is def good because the light comes on sometimes and turns off sometimes. and if its on when i start the bike and have it on the stand, but as soon as the light shuts off, the bike shuts off so thats why i think its the switch is not fully making contact. I'm hoping that its just gummed up and cleaning it will fix it, ill def search the wiki and see what i can find

Comment

Originally posted by xxsokol32xx View Post
        yeah, the bulb is def good because the light comes on sometimes and turns off sometimes. and if its on when i start the bike and have it on the stand, but as soon as the light shuts off, the bike shuts off so thats why i think its the switch is not fully making contact. I'm hoping that its just gummed up and cleaning it will fix it, ill def search the wiki and see what i can find
        check the link i posted as an edit. it shows the location.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

not a side stand issue IMO,its doing as it supposed to

if memory serves me right the nuetral switch is in the area of the front sprocket cover
          Not really a servicable part
          it has a electrical connector on one end and the other threads into the motor/transmission
          So unplug , turn out old one and replace with new
          Pretty sure its about a $20 part
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Quick fix, Cut the sidestand sensor wires and twist them together. Just be careful not to forget to put the stand up when you take off, you will no longer have the safety switch. I did this because i was having issues with the stand coming down ever so slightly when hitting large bumps causing the engine to die, not cool on the exit of a turn during spirited riding!!

Comment

yeah, after reading more posts about this, im about 90% sure its the switch. I'm gonna run over the wires tonight and see if theres any chips or dings in it that may be causing it to go in and out. My other theory is that there is supposed to be a pin and spring that actually makes contact with the sensor and that is what im assuming i can clean. if that spring is gummed up then mabye it is not pushing that pin in and out the way it should.

One last question, do i need to drain the oil before pulling off the sensor, or is it just a minimal amount that would seep out.

Thank you again for all the help

Comment

its most likely the relay. pop the seat off and its that lil black box right by the fuse box. next time the neutral light does not come on, pop the seat off and wiggle that...
                95% of the time its the relay and not the switch.
                I have changed several on customers bikes.
                FWIW my bike had the same problem on a road trip. I had to zip tie the relay into place. without the pressure it would not work. not sure what is in there that is loose but its worked for this long.. hmmmmm put that on my list of parts before spring
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

hmmm, thats one i didnt think of, i'll have to take a look at that too, mabye ill fire her up tonight and try that out, anyone know if the neutral switch is going to leak alot of oil if i pull it off?

Comment

Ok, so in case anyone else has this question, i found out the hard way, but yes, oil will definitely come out if you take the sensor off. not sure if it will be an excessive amount because after i noticed a pretty decent amount streaming out i put it back on. I also don't think it is the relay now because i turned on the bike and wiggled around the relay for a little while and got no break or change in the neutral light.

one thing i have noticed is after i start the bike and let it run for a little while...there is a *tick tick tick ticking* noise coming from the somewhere inside the bike. I hadn't been able to narrow it down until tonight. When i unplugged the blue wire for the neutral switch and plugged it back in, i would get that same ticking noise each time i unplugged and plugged it back in. not sure if it means anything.....

i did notice also that the switch and the entire inside of the case was really grimy. I know there should be some grease but this seemed a little overboard. the picture of the switch is after i wiped it down. it was completely black with grime before wiping it off.

im gonna have to wait till i get a pan and drain the oil, out to actually take the switch off and inspect it more thoroughly...anything i should stay away from while im down there or any other suggestions appreciated as always!!!!

Thank You

Comment

I believe there is a write up here somewhere, but you can replace the spring and contact piece behind that switch to fix and intermittent neutral light.
                      2000 Katana 600
                      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

i didnt find the spring or contact piece while i was in there, is it underneath after i pull the switch off? cuz if it is that is why i didnt get to it.

Comment

does anyone know if the 2000 katana 600 would have the spring and contact piece, and what the oem part number would be. i cant seem to find it, or the part number for the neutral switch, although i did find it on ebay.

also do you know if one from a 91 750 (spring and contact) would work my '00 600. thanks again

Comment

Comment

yeah, i looked there but i couldnt find it there

Comment

Working...
                              X