X

Fully charged battery to dead in 5 cranks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully charged battery to dead in 5 cranks

soo this is the 2nd battery i bought already for my bike. i let it sit all winter in the bike like an idiot and now im thinking its a dead battery again? also the right turn signal stopped working front and rear and the left only goes on solid (wont blink)

history

last time i started it was in fall around september, had to jump it off my car battery, car was running o.O anyway, i made it to work ~4 miles away. after work the bike started i was warming her up a little longer than usual maybe 15-20 minutes idle running when i got on it moved about 10 feet then died. backfired a bunch of times and and never 'ran' again. it started but would rev very slow and die at idle. the engine was making more than normal noise aswell.

you didn't suck something into the airbox did you?
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

What battery? If you bought a cheapie at walmart that's your problem.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

jump it with your car NOT running and see how it runs. also check your ground wires. by the way my Kat came with a Walmart battery and i've had it almost 2 seasons. you may have damaged your alt. when you started it with your car running.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Pull the battery out and check to make sure the fluids are to the full line. If not, buy a gallong of purified water and fill it back up, put on a slow charge. Just salvaged a battery from a used bike I bought that way.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by napkinthief View Post
            after work the bike started i was warming her up a little longer than usual maybe 15-20 minutes idle running when i got on it moved about 10 feet then died. backfired a bunch of times and and never 'ran' again. it started but would rev very slow and die at idle. the engine was making more than normal noise aswell.
            Sounds like you fouled the plugs letting it idle all that time.
            Kats hate that..

Comment

I have a spare car battery with a full charge i hooked it up with cables to the battery in the bike and itll start, but it runs very bad, slowly revs up and when i disconnect it the headlight flickers and it slowly sputters after about a minute itll die. If i give it gas itll keep running with a lot of backfires. I thought a new set of plugs would help the backfiring put em in and its the same...

im going to tear off the fairings tomm and check all the wiring harness hopefully nothing is burnt :/

any input appreciated.

Comment

get a new battery... a quality battery from a motorcycle shop.
                they need and initial charge from a special charger to last properly..

Yuasa/ parts unlimited YTX9BS
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Be sure the fluid levels are up to par & slow charge it.

Comment

Well I got it running im guessing maybe its temperature related because I jumped it off the car battery again with a half bottle of fuel stabilizer in the tank. It ran rather well, a little back fires and smoking but it calmed down after a few minutes. It still dies after a little idling though and the headlight flickers at idle, but not while revving.

I think the alternator is good since if I choke it or keep it revved the bike will stay running. How can I check for alternator damage?

And the turn signals on the right arent working, the rear stays solid and the front wont light at all.. maybe time for a led mod :-p

Comment

Originally posted by napkinthief View Post
                      And the turn signals on the right arent working, the rear stays solid and the front wont light at all.. maybe time for a led mod :-p

Replace that bulb in the front, and they will both blink again...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Pull the battery out and check to make sure the fluids are to the full line. If not, buy a gallong of purified water and fill it back up, put on a slow charge. Just salvaged a battery from a used bike I bought that way.

Krey
                        Me too. I was told to use distilled water though and put it on a slow charge. Mine is also a walmart battery and charged just fine and is still going strong. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                        X