Rescued Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued Kat

OK, so here's the story.

Back in March I managed to pick up a 89 750 for a paltry Ž£200 (About $240).

It was a non-runner, and boy did I have my work cut out:

In May I finally got her home. Non-running, dirty, damp and hadn't been on the road properly in nearly 10 years:

After a quick and dirty (and I mean very dirty...) carb clean, she was running again...

<I'll put the vid in here when I get chance>

So an initial teardown led me to first check the valve clearance (lash):

Boy were they out... By a metric mile!

As I had been tearing down, I noticed the fairing was in pretty rough condition, do decided to repair and respray.

I started on the left side main fairing as it was missing a corner:

and had evidence of a pretty nasty drop:

After some fibreglass work...

More fairing work!

Even the grab handle was pretty rough!

The bike was pretty stripped down at this stage, getting various parts ready for paint (excuse the rogue border collie...)

By this time I had long since decided on this colour, which is a black metallic base coat, with a read tint overlay. Turned out much better than expected.

The opposing colour of the red? It doesn't look much, but I'll come back to it in a few:

Now I could post all the painting pics, but this thread would be incredibly long if i did...

So...

This is the base coat the red goes over...

Without 2k Lacquer:

With:

Remember the white? (out of direct sunlight)

It's not white! (In direct sunlight)

There's not going to be much left at this rate....

Forks into the Pearlescent cream:

Coming together now

Seat re-dyed to rid of the orange flames and piping.

Fully assembled and decal'd:

An afterthought - The coil Relay mod!

I've obviously missed out A LOT of photos for brevity, but you get the idea. I discovered some real horrors on the way through this project, the bike had been very loved at one point - as the rear wheel is a 98+ affair, and the sprockets were renthal with a DID chain. The carbs were an utter nightmare, and still aren't right, but I have jet needles and needle jets on order (Kat parts in the UK are RARE. Mikuni carb parts rarer still!) The carbs alone have sapped a hell of a lot of time, if you'd like me to elaborate, then shout up!

All in all I've spent about 300 hours and about $700 putting this back on the road, and I've loved every minute of it...

Now all I need to do is ride it more!

Nice, I really like the seat and paint color. I have used 2k on couple of bikes, never had any luck with it. Last a year and it starts peeling.
    1990 katana 1100

Comment

Fiberglass isn't going to be the best to use on ABS. At some point it will separate from the repair. Legos and acetone makes a great repair cement.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
        Nice, I really like the seat and paint color. I have used 2k on couple of bikes, never had any luck with it. Last a year and it starts peeling.
        Hi Kdo - Thanks! As for 2k, Peeling is all down to the lacquer you use. If you use a 1k clear coat, it'll give up in under a year. The 2k clear I'm using a Mipa product, which I've used before, and usually stands the test of time (on cars anyway), the main problem I'm expecting is cracking due to the fairing flexing, I guess time will tell!

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Fiberglass isn't going to be the best to use on ABS. At some point it will separate from the repair. Legos and acetone makes a great repair cement.
        Hi Junker - on this image:

you can see something white in the background - That's plastikard, which is providing the rigidity, the actual fibreglass is very thin, and for the most part is mainly epoxy. The only place i used the actual fibres as part of the structure was in the bolt hole section to prevent crumbling when drilled, the rest was sanded out, and ws simply used to hold the epoxy in place. see here.

I'm hoping the very little amount I've used will hold up, and the plastikard (a polystyrene blend) will help keep it bound together. Because the whole corner of the fairing was missing, I had to take a punt at getting it rebuilt. I doubt my kids would've liked me melting up their Legos! Although It may resort to that if the repair doesn't hold up! I'll let you know if it gives way. Thanks for the Lego tip though.

One thing I'm finding is that parts really are really difficult to get in the UK, so if any of you guys fancy mailing me parts from the US, let me know!
        Last edited by Frenchwood; 10-16-2016, 02:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Love the pics, thanks for taking the time to post up! Bike looks great.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'd like to see how that turns out.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

good job
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I am surprised to see a rebel flag on a bike in the UK.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                  good job
                  Thanks

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                  I am surprised to see a rebel flag on a bike in the UK.
                  I know, right? Why was it there? Covering a mark on the fairing!

Comment

Working...
                  X