Hello - New Dude in the PNW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - New Dude in the PNW

Hi Guys,

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I have a 2006 Katana which I rescued from an individual who did not want to take the time or effort to learn to ride. Got it for pocket change, basically I replaced my truck with a bike some time ago, and ride every day, rain, shine or snow. Came from the BMW world, which is also the world of $2000 clutch replacements and 35" seat height . I currently have another Suzuki and three Hondas. Looking to take the Kat touring and to a number of schools and track days. I'll be hitting the obstacle course as soon as I put new sliders on - I try to go once a week. She gets ridden hard, but is loved like no other. I do all of my own work, and don't let mechanics near my bikes.

I am replacing the Braunstein sliders with T-Rexes after having one break in a 3 mph drop while turning around and the other take a hunk out of a cooling fin. Basically stock other than that and a Scorpion can.

I've never ridden an oil cooled engine hard at low speeds before (except for my 550), and am worried about overheating. Have there been any issues with this? I am running regular 10W40 currently. Also, any issues with running 26W blinkers and 2357 brake bulbs vs 21W and 1157? Wiring is crap on my 550 - hopefully Suzuki changed that for the Kat!

Hope to learn a lot here!

Doug

Last edited by Apex; 04-01-2012, 08:39 AM.
    2006 Katana 600
    1984 GS550es
    Some Hondas

Welcome to KR. Clean looking bike you picked up

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

welcome from Kent. Meet up sometime for a ride!

Comment

Welcome!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by Apex View Post
            Hi Guys,

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I have a 2006 Katana which I rescued from an individual who did not want to take the time or effort to learn to ride. Got it for pocket change, basically I replaced my truck with a bike some time ago, and ride every day, rain, shine or snow. Came from the BMW world, which is also the world of $2000 clutch replacements and 35" seat height . I currently have another Suzuki and three Hondas. Looking to take the Kat touring and to a number of schools and track days. I'll be hitting the obstacle course as soon as I put new sliders on - I try to go once a week. She gets ridden hard, but is loved like no other. I do all of my own work, and don't let mechanics near my bikes.

I am replacing the Braunstein sliders with T-Rexes after having one break in a 3 mph drop while turning around and the other take a hunk out of a cooling fin. Basically stock other than that and a Scorpion can.

I've never ridden an oil cooled engine hard at low speeds before (except for my 550), and am worried about overheating. Have there been any issues with this? I am running regular 10W40 currently. Also, any issues with running 26W blinkers and 2357 brake bulbs vs 21W and 1157? Wiring is crap on my 550 - hopefully Suzuki changed that for the Kat! I've also heard that running MMO in the gas can help - would that jack with the fuel filters or jets?

Hope to learn a lot here!

Doug

Nice looking bike! About your oil...You should be running motorcycle oil. 10W40 (automotive oil) is to thin for your wet clutch set up.You will certainly develop issues with 10W40. I am by no means an expert mechanic (really...ask anyone), but I learned about the automotive oil thing recently. I think you should drain it as much as possible, and run Amsoil, Shell Rotella or some other such NON ENERGY CONSERVING synthetic oil through it. And once you get a hundred (or couple) miles, drain and repeat.

Seriously...ask any of the long timers here. They'll tell ya.

And, welcome aboard! I have family in the Sea/Tac Olympia area. I love the scenery there, hate the rain.
            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
            Semper Fi

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Torgy, nice to hear that, we should touch base sometime.

About the oil...I meant regular motorcycle oil ie. non-synthetic Valvoline, Lucas, etc. Looked in the wiki and answered my own questions Love the site.
              2006 Katana 600
              1984 GS550es
              Some Hondas

Comment

Comment

Welcome. Riding 365 in Tacoma's a pretty ballsy thing. I remember a lot of rain and some pretty significant black ice issues from when I lived there.

Scout's confused about the oil. the important thing is to avoid the "energy conserving" friction additives in automotive oil and stick with oil for wet clutch motorcycles. If that's what you've got then you're fine, synthetic or no. Personally, I don't see that synthetic is really necessary. Can't give too much help on the bulb thing. The wiring isn't great on these bikes. It's just like any other bike--thin and prone to corrosion. A lot of guys go to LED bulbs and a solid-state flasher unit. Nothing else, the LED bulbs last a really long time so you're not replacing them pretty much ever.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR from NC!!! Congrats on your steal

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Welcome. Riding 365 in Tacoma's a pretty ballsy thing. I remember a lot of rain and some pretty significant black ice issues from when I lived there.
                      It's 100% good 97% of the time, at least this year. Fortunately, I-5 has enough traffic that it has warmed up enough to be ice-free, especially with all the JBLM traffic.

Update: Got the front and exhaust can sliders on - FTW!
                      2006 Katana 600
                      1984 GS550es
                      Some Hondas

Comment

Working...
                      X