Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Am I retarded? How to get off the ground?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I retarded? How to get off the ground?

Alright so I was thinking today and I can't figure out a way to get the bike off the ground to take off the front wheel... I tried the center stand but that only lifts the back tire. My speedometer doesn't work and the cable + gauge are fine so I got my money on that something is wrong with the speedometer gear and now I want to take it off and check it out. I called local shops and they want $30-50 to pull off the front wheel to take a look at it and I think that's by far overpriced so any tips guys?
    1993 GSX750 Katana

with a side stand you can use "jack stand" to get the front of the bike up off the ground....but for $30-$50 you can get an off brand pit-bull type stand, or a motorcycle jack to lift the whole thing up. If you have a Harbor Freight near you look around there they usually have both jacks and stands.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

Here's one option: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65958

Another is put bike on center stand, have buddy press down on grab rail.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I get my wife to set on the passenger seat to remove the tire and once the tire is off I use a car ramp http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CCsQ9QEwAQ
        with a 2x4 so I can lay the front forks down and let the wife off of the Kat.

Comment

Use the center stand and then use a car jack with a piece of wood under the front of the motor to put just enough pressure to put the back wheel to the ground, lifting the front off.
          89 Katana 750
          06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Originally posted by Malarky112 View Post
            Use the center stand and then use a car jack with a piece of wood under the front of the motor to put just enough pressure to put the back wheel to the ground, lifting the front off.
            Me too. I can normally just rock the bike back far enough to shove a couple of 2x4's under the frame or header.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              This is what I've done. One trip to Ace and a few minutes of assembly.

Comment

center stand and weight on the rear seat.
                BUT.. be careful. the bike can "roll" off the center stand. after having one fall on you you'll find a strap or rope tied from the center stand to the front of the frame to keep the stand from closing is a nice safety catch.

might also try rolling the bike up on a 2x12 then a strap around the board through the rear tire will ancor it down holding the front off the ground. again be careful not to roll off the center stand.

personally, after having one fall off the center stand, i went to harbor freight and got a transmission jack. one with a big wide base for transmissions to set on. it works great. and its probably the most borrowed tool i've got. but to use it i have to remove the lower fairings so it will lift on the metal parts and not the plastic.
                Carpie Diem!

Comment

Originally posted by Malarky112 View Post
                  +1 if you dont have bike/wheel stands
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                  X