X

Lets Play A Game... Estimate The Damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Play A Game... Estimate The Damage

So today at work a customer backed into my Kat and knocked her over on the pavement. At first glance damage is not bad... take into consideration the grips/bar-ends/levers are 1 week old and pearl paint is less than 1 year old.

It's on video which I'll add later. Basically a really old nice gentlemen in a huge truck tapped it enough to knock her over. He didn't even realize it happened. I called him at home just to let him know it happened and he apologized for the incident and not knowing. He's coming in the morning and wants to let his insurance handle it.

Just curious what kinda damage estimate is realistic.

1st pic is side of bike from a few days ago after I installed grips... every other pic shows damage that wasn't there previous and I didn't post pics of the exhaust which is scratched up fairly nice lol.

http://youtu.be/mAb_yIU-eP4
    Last edited by Xrayron; 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM. Reason: added video
    You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

that sucks. I saved time. I bought my Kat pre-stressed.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
      that sucks. I saved time. I bought my Kat pre-stressed.

Yea my last kat was like that... I bought this one clean luckily I wasn't the person who had it painted.

One thing I do love about these Kats is they take a fall pretty nice... most bikes snap off levers/mirrors.

I'm glad it wasn't my 2007 Firebolt... the damage would have been much much worse.
      You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

My Guessitmate: $Totaled.
        LOL
        Just kidding... prolly gonna be like $400.
        "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

That sucks dude it is a really nice bike though. I'd guess 700 in damages. Is anyone else wondering if the really nice older gentleman should maby stop driving lol. That is the biggest slowest longest turn i have ever seen in a nearly empty parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by VampV View Post
            My Guessitmate: $Totaled.
            LOL
            Just kidding... prolly gonna be like $400.

You joke, but that's pretty close.

Totaled means the damage repair cost exceeds a percentage of the estimated value of the bike. The repairs for bike like ours is generally done by parts replacement. When you factor in the cost of replacing the fairing, turn signal, exhaust can, lever, and bar ends and other associated parts + labor...

255.00 labor, and discounted parts prices guestimate....

That's before needing custom paint to match the rest of the bike if it's a custom paint job.

My guestimate... Damage value of $1800-2k to repair, insurance's claim vehicle value of around 2k = bike would be totaled out by them.

Just my guess...

My advice... even if they total the bike, take the max $ you can with keeping the bike, and repair it yourself.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              You joke, but that's pretty close.

Totaled means the damage repair cost exceeds a percentage of the estimated value of the bike. The repairs for bike like ours is generally done by parts replacement. When you factor in the cost of replacing the fairing, turn signal, exhaust can, lever, and bar ends and other associated parts + labor...

255.00 labor, and discounted parts prices guestimate....

That's before needing custom paint to match the rest of the bike if it's a custom paint job.

My guestimate... Damage value of $1800-2k to repair, insurance's claim vehicle value of around 2k = bike would be totaled out by them.

Just my guess...

My advice... even if they total the bike, take the max $ you can with keeping the bike, and repair it yourself.

Krey

That's exactly what they would do. Luckily bikes are worth a little more in Florida... but I covered my ass in case it does go through his insurance. We have a local family business which specializes in custom paint/repairs they have been in business for 40 years. They are always doing classic cars/collector cars etc and normal everyday cars.

They are a few blocks from our shop... So my buddy says go there and ask for Rob Sr to do an estimate on a motorcycle.

So I called to make sure he was available real quick and briefly explained situation that myself and the driver just wanted to pay to have bike repaired. He said come on by. I park in the lot and Rob Sr comes walking out as I'm taking my helmet off. He was about 30 yards from me and he yells out

"Anywhere else and that pearl corvette yellow would get that katana totaled out! That's not factory"

He walks around bike and says... In a claim situation typically a shop would repaint and match this color to the entire bike and replace any and every piece that took damage... in a claim situation. It'll never go that far once a list is made they will total it and you'll banter back and forth normally they settle around $2500 for this model/condition when you fight.

As a normal walk-in repair for you... I'm gonna fix only the damaged fairing/paint. I'm gonna fill and smooth and respray pearl corvette yellow to match. $650 were done.

Now your gonna go over on 3rd street if you like and get your decals made it's gonna be about $25

Your gonna order yourself a new right signal cover factory about $25

Your gonna order yourself a new/used timing cover about $50

So your looking at $750... and some scratches on your exhaust that can be buffed and some blacktop on your bar-end... that might just (as he scratches with his nail the black was coming off) clean up yeah...nice.

Then he says "An honest man knowing what you now know would ask $750-$1000 for that damage and he'd be well within his right." I said thank you...gave him a handshake and told him I was going to ask driver to pay $750-$800. He said bring bike back when I'm ready to fix it or just leave damaged plastics.

I think $800 is pretty fair considering the situation. What do you guys think?

Comment

really generous.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                  really generous.

I like to pay it forward when I can but I don't wanna short myself.

I bought bike already painted not running for $900 + $600 in repairs and my time. So I have $1500 invested into this 2001 with less than 9k miles and even with the damage looks very nice lol.

Maybe I should ask a tad more...What would you ask driver to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Xrayron View Post
                    I like to pay it forward when I can but I don't wanna short myself.

I bought bike already painted not running for $900 + $600 in repairs and my time. So I have $1500 invested into this 2001 with less than 9k miles and even with the damage looks very nice lol.

Maybe I should ask a tad more...What would you ask driver to pay?

IF it was not going to have insurance pay out, and you want to do them right... I would advise them to do up front $1400... then fix and refund what you feel is just AFTER you have truly paid for the correct repairs.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Maybe you have stated who is paying, but if it is his insurance company then take everything you can get. The problem is that often people and older drivers don't want to get their insurance company involved. I say that is what I pay my insurance for so let them pay. Again an older driver may worry about loosing their license or something like that.

If you do take money directly from the driver, then give him some piece of mind with some documentation. A signed letter stating that incident is closed and you will not be asking for more. Also provide a parts list with cost and an repair estimate from a shop. The money you ask for should land in between those. This gives the driver a clear understanding that you are ripping him off.

Good luck and I think you are handling this with the correct attitude.
                      '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                        Maybe you have stated who is paying, but if it is his insurance company then take everything you can get. The problem is that often people and older drivers don't want to get their insurance company involved. I say that is what I pay my insurance for so let them pay. Again an older driver may worry about loosing their license or something like that.

If you do take money directly from the driver, then give him some piece of mind with some documentation. A signed letter stating that incident is closed and you will not be asking for more. Also provide a parts list with cost and an repair estimate from a shop. The money you ask for should land in between those. This gives the driver a clear understanding that you are ripping him off.

Good luck and I think you are handling this with the correct attitude.
                        He came in today and we agreed on $900 I wrote up a simple release of liability for damages we both signed it and he paid me.

I wanna thank everyone who helped I really appreciate it. Thanks guys!!

Comment

Working...
                        X