X

headlights went out, where to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlights went out, where to start?

GRRRR, electrical scares the crap outta me, one wrong connection and i could burn everything up. so being scared of it i have no idea how to even start to diagnose this problem, i have nothing so im asking what i need to start to diagnose and track this bad boy down.

like i said i dont really know anything but the basics so i dont expect to get much help with what could be wrong just yet but ill give it a shot.

since i bought my bike the low beams have never worked unless it was on high then both lights would be on, i dont drive at night because i only have a permit so im not exactly sure how long they have both been out. also the highbeam indicator doesnt work but the little light works, above the head lights (running light i think its called)

ive checked fuses and the connections at the hbeam/lbeam switch and thats all i know to cheack. im hoping with the indiator light dead but the running light working this leaves a small gap of where the problem could be.
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

check the connection to the headlight

the socket might be lose thats what happened with mine

Comment

it's a bulb!!!

Comment

1) bulb

2) socket

3) fuse

4) battery

5) headlight wiring harness

6) headlight switch

7) mechanic
        Last edited by squiggy; 08-25-2008, 01:39 AM.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

no, it's a bulb, you can stop at #1

Comment

Chris, how typical is it that both headlights would go out at the exact same time (both bulbs, not both filaments in one bulb)? I'm curious because my highbeams quite working and I've traced all the wiring and fuses and they're all good. I have a hard time believing that both bulbs would burn out at the exact same time. Would one being blown cause the other to overload and burn out shortly thereafter? Thanks
            1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

sure would. I've NEVER seen a dual headlight bike with just 1 light out.

Comment

well i checked the headlights and tried with all my might and it didnt budge so i looked closer and noticed the socket was melted, i had to pry it apart with a knife. the second one was even worse it was melted to the point where when i tried to pry it apart the platic just fell apart, i searched the headlights on google and it said they're car headlights. im going to find who sold me this bike and kill them!

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
                  i searched the headlights on google and it said they're car headlights.
                  that sucks dude
                  the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                  # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                  [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

They are car headlights in the bikes. So long as they aren't over the manual specs for power draw, then you have nothing agianst the PO. The kats have cheap wiring. Just a little thinner. Kats were price targetted. My 93 was melted too at 6 K replaced the end and used the right bulb since. At 26k it burned out the low beam, I went to replace it and noticed the bulb end was melted a bit. Thats 21k more than the original.

However, lets take that into perspective.
                    Production date. 08/92
                    Sale to me date. 05/06
                    Miles in said timespan 5,827
                    Years of ownership.13

Sold to me at. 5,827 on 05/06
                    Present milage. 28,953
                    years of ownership. 2.2

Bulb burned out at 26,000
                    Doesnt mean to say the PO put in a higher wattage bulb, since what I pulled out was a factory rated bulb.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I was gona say it was your wiring harness. I had the same issue with mine, and had the harness replaced. Make sure you have the right bulbs in there, and they are not over specs, unless you plan on upgrading your harness.

Look at it this way tho, at least it is a easy fix!
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

i replaced the socket and still nothing so i went and got what looks like this http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../163100_lg.jpg but i ant read a wireing diagram to save my life so imma need help ill post pictures and you guys can show me what to check with it

ok i took some pics of the wiring harness (i think) i just need to know which holes to check for electricity, like the first post says my headlights are out i guess if you wanna take one of the pics and mark it with red or tell me where to which way to count...

Last edited by delkampg; 09-13-2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Those plugs are for the handle bar controls. Look for a semi-clear plug in the center area of the headlight, or there abouts.

These pics are when my headlight plug fried itself.

Found another pic, in the center below the center clip for the winshield is the headlight plug.

Last edited by squiggy; 09-21-2008, 11:30 AM.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

CyberPoet's Electrical Headlight Problems Web-page.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

as far as i can tell this problem has come to an end. it was the wiring harness that melted and corroded the connector in both the clear harness like shown above and then also the black harness coming from speedo had a small short in it from the same reason. both of which i had to cut from the harness and bybass it cause the conectors were melted to the harness and i couldnt get them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X