No announcement yet.
X

Clutchless shifting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do it all the time you just gotta have the rpm up high and it pratically jumps into the next gear.........really good for racing

Comment

WoW!!

I see that this debate will go on forever.... I guess to each his own. Its almost as bad as the counter steering debate!...LOL

Just FYI to all... I have used clutchless shifting on all my bikes (WAYYY Too many bikes to count) for thousands upon thousands of miles without any tranny failure whatsover.

Be safe and Happy Riding

Comment

no debate here, I even do clutchless runs on the dyno. I agree about the smoothness
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

It is a never-ending debate. Epic, along the lines of "America vs Canada", "Gun Control" and "Wheelies on a Kat"
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            You have to be running a BUNCH of nitrous to pull that kind of number from a 600.

To get a bike to drop from ~12.4 to 10.4 in the 1/4 requires you to just about double it's power. So you have to be pushing maybe 120-130 hp out of that poor motor!

I'd take 4:1 odds that the motor, being juiced like that every week, wouldn't last 2 full seasons. It might not make it one full season.... but the odds would have to be changed.

i cant find that 10.44 slip but here is a 10.88 i spun my tire hard in 2nd gear when i hit the nos so i had to back out a little and yes i run a 75 hp shot of nos and it dosnt really hurt the engine as much as you might think i just had it in the shop for a tuneup and they said everything looked fine i also run 140 octane race gas just so you know.

Comment

Ive only just found this thread, ive seen the debate run to 30+ pages on other sites & what it comes down to in the end is personal choice & confidance in your ability to do it right

For the record i change without the clutch when i feel like it or if i'm in a bit of a race with someone but mostly i do use the clutch

What most people dont realise is that if you are accelerating hard throught the gears you dont fully depress the clutch anyway, you just give it a little dab which is enough to unload the gearbox & allow a smooth shift, take notice next time you are out riding & you will see what i mean, shutting the throttle fully to change without the clutch does the same thing the problems arise when you get it wrong

Second & fifth gears are what go on these engines if severly abused & its about 15 hours labour + parts to change them if all goes to plan the 25 hours quoted above is to give the mechanic some leeway to sort any unseen problems he may encounter

oh yes ive done a few btw in case you were wondering
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Wow, this was just a question. It sounds like both sides were covered. I will never ask this questions again.

Is it over yet!
                '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
                ME.

Comment

From my expierence...I had a dirtbike with a broken clutch cable and i just couldnt wait to buy one to ride...so i shifted it w/o the clutch for a few days and it was fine but one day my brother was riding it and i watched him take it up through the back yard haulin a** and he down shifted,grabbed a gear and pulled it up on a wheelie and the rear sproket broke clean off...and took the bolt holes and part of the rear wheel with it...lol so no i always use a clutch when riding.
                  Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post

Don't go clutchless from 1st to 2nd, though, unless your last name is Rossi, or you don't mind replacing gears. The long throw from 1st to 2nd will cause, eventually, some missed shifts. And a good few HARD missed shifts will trash your 2nd gear.
                    Rossi would have a kill switch on his shifter. Use the clutch.

Comment

oh yeah

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                      som one has a signature around here that is tru about Clutchless shifting "Shifting without using the clutch is like fu**ing a hooker without a condom, You can do it, But bad thing are gonna happen!"
                      amen to that brother, amen to that

Comment

Clutchless upshifts all the time here. Many miles, many years...not one transmission...
                        Do it right, and you will too!

Preload the lever, and a small blip to the throttle and you're in gear.
                        Only do it from 2nd up...

Save your clutch!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Dylan View Post
                          Rossi would have a kill switch on his shifter. Use the clutch.
                          I forget bikes dont normally have that. Ive had one for so long now that I think of it as standard equipment.

As far as clutchless upshifts. ive got 50k on the tranny. Had to rebuild the motor at 37 due to a spun bearing in the counterballancer. But the tranny still runs good. Then again its not a Katana tranny. IDK how a katana would hold up.
                          Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                          6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                          5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                            som one has a signature around here that is tru about Clutchless shifting "Shifting without using the clutch is like fu**ing a hooker without a condom, You can do it, But bad thing are gonna happen!"

LMFAO!!!!!
                            sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

is it that hard for you to use ur clutch and save the hassle of fixing what your gonna break

Comment

Originally posted by MainSt.Saint005 View Post
                                is it that hard for you to use ur clutch and save the hassle of fixing what your gonna break
                                Did you read this whole thread??
                                this thread is over rated just like clutch shifting!
                                If you understand the mechanicals of the transmission you will understand that nothing will get hurt by not using the clutch and your clutch plates will love ya for it!

just my 2 cents yet again!
                                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                                Who knows what is next?
                                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                                X