No announcement yet.
X

My hydraulic clutch conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what'd ya do for that little pivot? I just drilled out the B-12 sprocket cover, and stuck 'er through. I had to add some washers on the back, but it all worked out in the end....

Eventually I'll get around to making a set of rearsets for the Kat so we can completely eliminate that pivot point, but I've got a lot of projects on the go right now....
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

So what'd ya do for that little pivot? I just drilled out the B-12 sprocket cover, and stuck 'er through. I had to add some washers on the back, but it all worked out in the end....
      I just milled out a new pivot from a bolt and threaded the cover and put a backing nut on the inside of the cover.

BTW are you using that B-12 cover on a Katana motor? Or did you swap out the motor completely?

Comment

Looks like I'll have to convert my bike to hydro clutch... no, wait, I already OWN a Bandit 1200.. and a Kat 1100- already HAVE hydraulic clutch!

(This is me, gloating...)
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Dood has the 1200 motor.

[quote="monger"]
          BTW are you using that B-12 cover on a Katana motor? Or did you swap out the motor completely?
          Bike is sold

Comment

For some reason after I converter mclutch to a hydro It will not completely disenguage... Any Ideas anyone?
            Some people grow big and tall and some stay the same... My 600 grew 527cc's by high school and stayed the same size. He use to get bullied by a few people:

Jigzer and Shrad were brothers
            Charlie Brown Rodjers also known as CBR
            Kall Asaki from Japan

I'm not a racer but at a stop light Jigzer pulled up and so did Shrad. They reved their engines....
            The light changes to green light so we ride...
            Then they read my license plate and it says
            " KATchup "

Comment

Is the clutch rod length too short?

Comment

So we still don't know if this works then? Meaning engaging and disengaging the clutch.
                Bike is sold

Comment

Well DDM is also using a 1127 motor

Comment

I'm dealing with this same issue right now myself.

I installed an 04 1200 engine in an 02 600 Kat.

The push rod IS different, so I ordered one for the Bandit to match the clutch assembly with the cover, only to find the correct one that came with the engine in my spare parts box!

SO.............I've got a brand new one here and available!
                    It's part # 23111-31301 and it sells for $8.49. I'll sell it for $7 plus shipping.

The Kat one is longer..........

Also......FYI:
                    On the earlier Bandit 1200 engines I installed I did not have this problem, as the sprocket cover from the Kat fit the Bandit perfectly. It seems that Suzuki has slightly altered the depth of the cover so that now the speedo sensor hits the pick up if you use the Kat cover. SO....like others have found out, I switched to the Bandit cover and then had to use the hydraulic clutch set up, only to then find the shifter pivot problem.!

The pivot point from the Kat DOES pop out, and I have a few spares here from tear downs if anyone needs one.

I'm a little worried about the strength of the cover at the pivot point in the Bandit because in the Kat cover this area is designed and built for an opening - not so if you install the pivot (or a bolt) in that area...........

BUT.........I like the idea and will probably try it!

I am also trying to mate up the Bandit shifter and foot peg set. I got one off eBay so we'll see.

I'll photo it and post up in this thread later.........
                    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

PS: I can and will measure both Kat and Bandit push rods......BRB

***EDIT***

OK.......NOW I can't find the Kat push rod! ARGH!!!

Looked everywhere..........darn it

Comment

The rods themselves may be different lengths but its the length that it sticks out of the trans that is the issue. If you can measure how much the rod sticks out of the 1200 motor I can measure how much it sticks out of the Kat 600 motor.

Comment

Can do, but its the length of the rod INSIDE the engine that's the same I believe........so the delta is what's outside, or the total delta between the two different parts

BRB............

Comment

I was unaware that the internal rods were the same between the two motors. I was just concerned with the external dimentions, which is the only thing that the clutch actuator cares about.

Comment

Here you go guys....

05 Kat

02 b12

05 Kat

02 b12

I'm doing the same thing K is doing (b12 swap), I'm going to drill the bandit cover today and try it with the stock shaft, I'll post pics later when it's finished
                              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                              18v Rigid Drill
                              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Thanks reconstyle!!

so it looks like there is only about 4 mm of difference between how much the two shafts stick out of the trans housing. I would imagine that both setups could eat up that amount of difference. Or im my case, I just retracted the slave cylinder to make up for that 4 mm. Makes me feel better.

Comment

Working...
                                X