X

Heard a snap.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard a snap.....

So I was hooking my battery back up to the Kat a few minutes ago so I could fire her up and get some gas stabilizer running thru the lines.

Hooked the terminals back up and turned the key on. Headlights came on as well as the gauge cluster. Pulled in the clutch and hit the start button...

This is where I heard a 'snap' sound. And then I had NO power to anything.

Hooked a voltage meter up to the battery and when I turned the key to ON again, the read-out on the meter droppped significantly. So I know it's drawing power. Just have no cluse what's going on here.

PLEASE HELP GUYS
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

One of two things:

Battery gave up the ghost.

Clean your connections and be sure they are tight.

Comment

does the post have a main breaker?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Start simple- check fuses and make sure battery terminals are connected correct. It can be easy to over look some of teh simplier things. Hook the meter to frame ground and then check volts at + and fuses.
        A fool can't act wise, but the wise can act a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          they should. pretty much every suzuki bike that I have ever torn apart, has one. I have seen a breaker type fuse, that you can reset, and I have seen fuses the diameter of a cigarette. don't ask me the amp cuz I never looked. I am guessing 50amp maybe? my boat has two fuses like that....both 50 amp.

anyway, that doesn't matter. sounds like you popped a fuse.

possible reasons??

1) if it is cold where you are, everything works a bit harder. maybe too much load happening?

2) crossed you connections somewhere? could you have hooked your battery up backwards? not likely because it is designed so you can't easily do that. cables are just long enough to reach correct post, when battery is in right position....but hey, we all know people can be determined enough to stretch it into reaching if they believe they have it right. I really don't think (hoping) that is what you did, but had to ask.

3) your positive connection may have been touching the frame?

4) live wiring grounding out somewhere?

only thing I can say is that it sounds like the main fuse, and I believe it came from too much load in the cold, or you have a live lead grounding out. that's pretty much all it can be, I do believe. pretty sure it's not the secondary fuses. if you have no power to anything, that's your main.

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          One of two things:

Battery gave up the ghost.

Clean your connections and be sure they are tight.
          could be that too. it all depends on whether he knows the diff between a "snap" and a "click". dead batteries and dirty connections go "click click click". a fuse popping usually gives off a pop or snap.
          Last edited by Mojoe; 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I've had a loose connection on a battery go SNAP and then everything dies. Clean it and tighten it up and it works again. There is an arc between the post and the cable that kills the connection for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Don't believe so but they have a main fuse, 30a IIRC
              2002 GSXF 750

Comment

No, it's a fuse, down near the starter solenoid.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  No, it's a fuse, down near the starter solenoid.

Was wondering about that. The 'snap' I heard came from what sounded like the ride side of the bike; up towards the front. The battery was hooked up properly and terminals are clean (just bought it begining of last season) and tight.

After some pondering, I thought it would be something as simple as a fuse (fingers crossed).

Will have to check her tonight when I get back home from work.

@ Moejoe:
                  Yep, it was a 'snap' sound. Familiar with 'clicking' as I have had a few dead batteries in cars.
                  Last edited by BoarderBry; 01-12-2012, 08:09 AM.
                  The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

The same thing just happened on my girlfriend's Yamaha XJ600 this morning. Should be fun to track it down. It also happened once last week, but it started up again afterward. Very weird.

BTW, I think the Pre-98's have a breaker, but I know the starter relay on the Posts' have 2 30A fuses (one is a spare). If you're sitting on the bike, it's on the left hand side, unfortunately under the fairing. I know it intimately - when my battery went out (and I didn't know it) I had to pull it off and test it.
                    2006 Katana GSX750F

Comment

So I checked my fuses that are right by the battery box and all look fine.

Was wondering if there is another fuse box up by the cylinders on the right side (that's where I heard the SNAP)?

Comment

Right side looking at it, or right side sitting on it? The starter relay has fuses on it (one is in use, one is a spare), it's behind the fairing on the left side (left side sitting on it).

EDIT: I just realized I already posted this. Sorry. But I'd still check the relay fuse.
                        Last edited by WebDevDan; 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM.
                        2006 Katana GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by WebDevDan View Post
                          Right side looking at it, or right side sitting on it? The starter relay has fuses on it (one is in use, one is a spare), it's behind the fairing on the left side (left side sitting on it).

EDIT: I just realized I already posted this. Sorry. But I'd still check the relay fuse.

Right-side sitting on it (brake side). Thanks! And now that I have pulled the fairings off, I'll take a look. I assume you have to pull the tank? Which is fine cause I am putting in new plugs anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by BoarderBry View Post
                            Right-side sitting on it (brake side). Thanks! And now that I have pulled the fairings off, I'll take a look. I assume you have to pull the tank? Which is fine cause I am putting in new plugs anyways...
                            No need to pull the tank. If you've got the fairings off it should be pretty apparent where it is, bolted to the side of the bike on the gear shift side, if you're looking at the side of the bike (if I remember correctly) it's to right of the idle adjustment knob. It's got a clear/white plastic cover on it.

Looks like this...

And with the cover removed...

Last edited by WebDevDan; 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM.
                            2006 Katana GSX750F

Comment

well I checked all the fuses by the battery box and the ones on the clutch-side by the tank....all look fine. Battery is fully charged too.

So I guess my next question is could it be the coils? Do they make a POP or SNAP-sound when over-loaded or something??

We are looking at 65-degree weather this week and want to get her back on the road....

Also, I noticed that when the battery is hooked up, the clock works. But when I turn the key to ON, the clock goes out....

Comment

Working...
                              X