No Spark (prelim checks)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark (prelim checks)

Hey all,

I have a 2003 Kat 600. I have no spark, and just wanted to confirm some things before I progressed.

1 - Facing the front of the bike, are the cylinders numbered 1-4 from left to right?

2. Checked for power at the coils, both leads into the coils are hot. Does this mean it grounds through the mounting bolts to the frame?

3. Power to the coils, no spark, is it then the coils that are faulty?

Well I'm heading back to the garage, and will most likely figure it out, but I though I'd confirm on here.

Thanks!

1. you are correct
    2. I believe so but you have juice either way so as long as you
    have more than 11v 12v would be preferred at the orange wire
    than you're good there
    3. That would normally mean that yes but try and rule out
    the plug wires, and any other connections first

Comment

Thanks DD...you wouldn't happen to know the resistance values of the plug wires do you?

I never did check the voltage. I'll do that next. As far as all the other connections, they all seem to be good.

I'm suspecting the coils.

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
        1. you are correct
        incorrect. it's left to right when you are sitting on the bike. left to right is always from sitting in or on the vehicle, not from the front. it's like that for every aspect of riding and driving. the ditch is always on the right, oncoming traffic always on the left. if you order a mirror for a bike, the left side mirror would be the one on the left when sitting on the bike. if you calculated that from looking at the bike from the front, they would send you a right handed mirror instead of the left.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootzee View Post
          Thanks DD...you wouldn't happen to know the resistance values of the plug wires do you?

I never did check the voltage. I'll do that next. As far as all the other connections, they all seem to be good.

I'm suspecting the coils.
          I dont know but you can check manual heres a pdf copy of it

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
          incorrect. it's left to right when you are sitting on the bike. left to right is always from sitting in or on the vehicle, not from the front. it's like that for every aspect of riding and driving. the ditch is always on the right, oncoming traffic always on the left. if you order a mirror for a bike, the left side mirror would be the one on the left when sitting on the bike. if you calculated that from looking at the bike from the front, they would send you a right handed mirror instead of the left.
          You're right I miss read that it is when sitting on the bike

Comment

I did mean sitting on the bike, facing the front. Guess I should have been a little more clear.

Now, on each of the coils there is an orange/white wire. On coil for 1&4 there is a white wire, and coil 2&3, a black wire. I'm getting roughly 12 volts from the white wire on coil1&4, and black wire on coil 2&3. The orange/white wires are hot, but I cant seem to get any V reading on it.

I do have that very same manual, I just haven't found it yet. (still unpacking from our move) So I just started to download the manual. I'll be checking it out.

Comment

Its section 4-3 when you get there it tells you how to check them but you might want to look into this as well http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
                Its section 4-3 when you get there it tells you how to check them but you might want to look into this as well http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991
                So, I had an issue with the kickstand cutoff switch, which I fixed. Coil 1&4 started to spark, but a weak yellow spark, and Coil 2&3 still had no spark.

Gonna work through the diag steps in the manual in a bit.

That relay mod, will that work for an 03, as the author did it on 95? I'm not that familiar with the pre kats.

Comment

That relay mod, will that work for an 03, as the author did it on 95? I'm not that familiar with the pre kats.
                  I followed that guide when I did it to my 01 and it was the same I just had a different relay

Comment

Did you notice any difference?

Comment

Before you do that mod, remove the coils and clean the mounting points to be sure they are grounding properly. You have voltage, but you need to complete the circuit, that's a ground.

Also, take a volt reading at the coils while cranking, and also at the battery. If the coils are less then 11 while cranking, then you may need to do the relay mod. However, if the battery goes much below 10,5 while cranking, you may need a new battery.

Comment

Did you notice any difference?
                        I did it for just that little extra it only gained me .5-.75 of a volt.

Running wise idk she hasnt really been on the road since I did it
                        because I am doing a bunch of stuff at once

Comment

Thinking I'm gonna do the mod anyway. However, I have completed all diag tests listed in the manual (regarding the primary, and secondary circuits, and the coils) and everything is still in spec. Still a weak yellow spark on the 1&4 coil, and no spark on the 2&3 coil. I'm getting a little frusterated but will attack it with a fresh mind tomorrow.

Any further ideas?

Comment

Thinking I'm gonna do the mod anyway. However, I have completed all diag tests listed in the manual (regarding the primary, and secondary circuits, and the coils) and everything is still in spec. Still a weak yellow spark on the 1&4 coil, and no spark on the 2&3 coil. I'm getting a little frusterated but will attack it with a fresh mind tomorrow.

Any further ideas?

Before doing the "mod".... just run 2 wires from the positive battery post to the point where the orange wires connect on the coils. You can even make it simple by moving the orange wires both on top and plug the black/white wires on the bottom for easy access. Hold them by hand, it won't shock you.

Then, do the spark tests/try to start the bike. If it's just a moment, it won't hurt anything to bypass power straight to the coils, and it will tell you what will happen if you do the mod.

krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Any further ideas?
                              Yes, check the battery voltage at rest and while cranking. Might just be low.....

Comment

Working...
                              X