Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Fuel leaking from exhaust ports and carb overflow. ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel leaking from exhaust ports and carb overflow. ???

I started up the bike this evening with the choke mostly on, as I normally do. After a few seconds the RPM never raised over 1k as would normally, which left me boggled, and I proceeded to put the choke to full on, which barely kept it running. Any letting off the choke would almost kill it. I quickly noticed fluid(which smelled like gas) bubbling out of the exhaust ports and leaking down the pipes and onto the ground. Then it was dripping out of the overflow tube coming from between the two right Carbs. I turned it off and pulled off the tank and ensured that the tank wasn't leaking at all and that it was just from where it seemed, which was the case.
    The bike is a 96 600F. Recently cleaned the carbs about a week and a half ago.
    What could this be? Are the floats stuck(They're not even adjustable on this model though right?)? Was I just flooding the carbs with the choke? Is it something worse?
    Also, do my exhaust ports where the pipes connect need to be tightened down(they all seem to be pretty loose where the large ring plates bolt them down to the engine)?
    Since it was leaking fuel out like that, I don't want to start it back up till I have someone come and look at it.
    1996 SUZUKI
    KATANA 600F

yeah the flots are adjustable, you got to bend them. Make sure the float height is correct, I'd start there.

Comment

Sure SOUNDS like a stuck or not seated float . Did you make new lines ? I did once and after cutting them , had a chunk of rubber get itself lodged in the float seat ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

IMO the Kat floats ( at least mine) are subject to sticking.. They are adjustable (as noted). Sometimes a rap on the bowl can un-stick them. Unless it's like Md and something big is stuck in there.
        The exhaust can be a pain but it sounds like you might want to fully loosen it and make sure all the pipes are fitting into the ports right. Then torque up the screws. Add some high temp anti seize while you're at it.

Comment

My floats didn't seem to be anywhere close to sticking. I did take them apart, clean the bowls again, and adjust the float height. This did fix it, but I'm still going to have to tighten down the exhaust ports someday.
          Would leaving them loose affect performance?
          When I first started her up i could see some exhaust coming out from around the ports, so they be pretty loose.
          1996 SUZUKI
          KATANA 600F

Comment

Well , it ain't great . It'll make it run different . Leaner . New exhasut gaskets are cheap .....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X