X

DIY Chain Oiler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Chain Oiler

Since i like to do everything i can on my own i made chain oiler this time.
    Pretty simple device to keep your chain oiled as much as you need. No matter the weather you adjust it in seconds (theoretically)

Why? because i dont want to go touring and stop every 500km to oil my chain.

Here we go, the list:
    -Tank (i used tank for screen splash liquid from Lada)
    -Hoses (aquarium ones, 4mm in diameter)
    -Electric valve (used for gas in cars)
    -Fuse (any fuse 5A will do)
    -Some wires (for connecting El. valve to power)
    -Valve for aquarium air pumps (bublers)
    -Oiler nozzle(i used braunila and refill for chemical pen?) (see pics)
    -PVC binders (google translated) you will use them to secure everything to your bike
    Price for this list is around 10-15Euros

So now comes assembling theese random parts

Using hoses you connect tank to inlet of el valve

outlet of el valve goes to valve thats being used for aquarium air control

then from aquarium valve you connect to braunila or refill thingy. (your choice)
    Now here i recommend using something to place around hose so that pvc binders dont squeeze hose so oil can flow through. If you look closely youll see i used thin metal pipe for that job.
    And for securing oiler nozzle i used aluminium piece bent so it doesnt sqeeze hose but secures it tightly to swing arm, a bit extended so you can point your nozzle firmly to sprocket.
    So you ned to aim it to sprocket and not to chain? Yes, centrifugal force will force that oil to the chain while you ride creating equal oiling for whole chain. If you point it to chain, it will oil only that specific point of chain.

Wires go to el valve for power and you will be connecting it to your rear position light, also + will be connected over fuse 5A.
    Theres a connector going to your rear light, 3 wires, Mass =, position and stop light. Not sure which is which but i used digital unimer to find out. You can do system of elimination, connect mass (usualy black wire) and try other wires one by one see what it does.

What you got is fully automatic chain oiler. CONGRATS!

Once you turn your lights ON, it will automaticaly turn on the oiler.

Fill your tank with oil and by manually or with current you open your electric valve so it lets oil to flow letting the system fill up.

Now the tricky part, you will have to sit on the ground and take stopwatch in your hand. Time to fine tune your oiler.
    Turn your position lights ON (turning ON oiler, acctually your valve is getting current and opening the valve inside so your oil is flowing now)

Once oil comes to (oiler nozzle) braunila or refill thingy itll start to drop, now using that small valve for air control (oil here) you will control your dropps per minute, setting it to around 1 drop per 1.5minutes (optimal).
    Any lower time (say 1drop per 1 min) will make your chain overoiled and excess of oil will drop off chain leaving your case or something else a bit oily (if thats a word )
    Any higher time could leave your chain not oiled enough.

This also depends on what oiler nozzle are you using, braunila makes something like 3 times smaller drops of oil compared to refill for pen is making big ones.

This is left for you to set properly.

I've spent hours sitting on floor checking drop times finding my air valve wasnt right, its rubber o-ring was defected so i bought new one and made it work as charm in minutes.
    So take your time.

I made few of theese for me and friends so pics are from my GSXF and friends GS500.

If you have any questions, maybe i forgott to explain something, be free to ask, I'll help gladly.

And remember to have fun, nothing beats the pride of your work!
    Last edited by FJCharlie; 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM.
    sigpic

Looks good! Might want to think about a new chain and sockets though....

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Neat idea.

Still trying to figure out what a braunila is. It looks like maybe an IV? I can't see those being really available here unless you work in a hospital or something. I had to do enough talking just to get my hands on a 60cc syringe for reverse bleeding brakes.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

youre correct, IV EPIDURAL NEEDLE AND SPINAL NEEDLE

here you can buy it in any pharmacy, converted from RSD to $ its 1$. few sizes depending for whats being used.

chain and sprockets are good, they rust over winter a bit so i clean it, all links work ok just that surface rust...
        Last edited by FJCharlie; 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

nice job - and the right price!!! Maybe I'll set up one of those next winter...

Comment

If you want to have more advanced system for a little more money you replace the valve with a oil pump from a chinese scooter. Those specific pumps work on power pulses - one pulse is small part of the turn. You just have:
            tank===pump===jet near front sprocket (it's safer place)
            Now for the control - you make a simple electronic device based on simple timer that gives pulses in preset interval. It gives very precise control over oil flow. Some designs even put small control panel near gauges or on handlebars, so you can adjust the flow on the fly. This is useful in situations like heavy rain that just stopped and you need to add a lot of oil that was taken with water. I personally think that this design is more complex but better than scottoiler.

Comment

dont get me wrong, i shared what i did, and how i did it. if anyone can make it better, sure, go for it
              this works for me last 20k

I like things simple, with electronics and pump it would be just too much, too many things can go wrong, and needs setting up...at least for me.
              sigpic

Comment

I like this setup. Would like to install one on my bike.

Comment

could you post a link or describe what electric car valve you used. I cant seem to figure out what its from.v
                  94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                    could you post a link or describe what electric car valve you used. I cant seem to figure out what its from.v
                    terribly sorry, havent seen this..
                    its a LOVATO CUT-OFF VALVE
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X