Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

91 katana idle problem, possible causes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 katana idle problem, possible causes?

i own a 91 kat 600, it will run at first but once it is warmed up it will backfire and die. if you keep it above 1000 or so rpms it will run but if u let off at all it will backfire and stall again. im pretty sure that the 1st and 2nd cylinders arent firing because the header pipe is only warm for those two but the others are hot enough you cant touch them.

Originally posted by numnutz89 View Post
    i own a 91 kat 600, it will run at first but once it is warmed up it will backfire and die. if you keep it above 1000 or so rpms it will run but if u let off at all it will backfire and stall again. im pretty sure that the 1st and 2nd cylinders arent firing because the header pipe is only warm for those two but the others are hot enough you cant touch them.
    I would guess your carbs need cleaned from the little info provided.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks, my dad was saying he thought it could be the one of the coils. but doesnt one coil do cylinder 1 and 3 and the other does 2 and 4? i just got the bike. The previous owner put vance and hines exhaust on it. all 4 of the plugs were black on it when i pulled them out, and i had spark at all 4. they were so fouled that they were firing way down inside the porcelin so i replaced them.

Comment

Originally posted by numnutz89 View Post
        thanks, my dad was saying he thought it could be the one of the coils. but doesnt one coil do cylinder 1 and 3 and the other does 2 and 4? i just got the bike. The previous owner put vance and hines exhaust on it. all 4 of the plugs were black on it when i pulled them out, and i had spark at all 4. they were so fouled that they were firing way down inside the porcelin so i replaced them.
        Yeah, I doubt it's a coil issue... on these bikes, its much more common to be a dirty or improperly adjusted carb.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok thank you, it also had old gas in it. going to change that out tomorrow also

Comment

Working...
          X