X

gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank

there's a small dent and a couple of scratches on the gas tank of my kat....the guy painting my cowl told me they'd fix it for 450 since they have to remove it and paint it and blah blah blah....is this reasonable??

ouch. seems steep. i'd remove the tank, petcock (takes minutes) and bring it to a few shops for more estimates
    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Remember ALOT of that charge is him having to REMOVE The tank (labor) then emptying the tank of gas, cleaning it out, masking it off, prepping it, doing any bodywork and then painting it.

I'd remove it, clean it, then bring it to him. Ask what that would cost.

All I know is I got a quote from a very highly respected place (online) that paints bikes, and if I send all the fairings and tank, he quoted me $900........

Since I can buy the sandpaper, putty, paint, reducer, hardnener, primer, clear and other stuff for around $150, I'm gonna do it myself..plus my fairings / tank don't need much work at all.

HTH

Chris

Comment

That may seem kinda high, but like catfish and ctandc said, they are quoting you labor for r&r'ing the tank, draining it and whatnot. The other reason it is expensive is because tank metal is super thick. They are most likely planning on uni-spotting the tank and using a puller or slide hammer to get most of that dent out without filling the whole thing in. A uni-spotter is basically a 'gun' that welds nails to metal that you can attach the slide hammer to, it is not necessarily an easy task, there is some finess involved in using one. A small dent say the size of a quarter could take up to ten nails to get right, or you could get lucky and use three, just depends on how the dent cooperates with you.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
          That may seem kinda high, but like catfish and ctandc said, they are quoting you labor for r&r'ing the tank, draining it and whatnot. The other reason it is expensive is because tank metal is super thick. They are most likely planning on uni-spotting the tank and using a puller or slide hammer to get most of that dent out without filling the whole thing in. A uni-spotter is basically a 'gun' that welds nails to metal that you can attach the slide hammer to, it is not necessarily an easy task, there is some finess involved in using one. A small dent say the size of a quarter could take up to ten nails to get right, or you could get lucky and use three, just depends on how the dent cooperates with you.
          or you could get even luckier and have it pop out with the use of just a suction cup style dent puller. Depends on where and how it is dented. Post up some pics and people can give you better advice.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
          X