carb help (long post)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb help (long post)

Hi Folks,
    Been battling this for a while without alot of time to mess with it, 92 kat 750,
    fuel lines went, replaced with aftermarket fuel line that were junk, bought oem lines and installed with carbs on the bike, not easy!, fired it up, everything was good, filled the gas, ran again and sounded rough, gas leaking from airbox drain hose and gas in oil. #2 pipe not hot,drained the tank, plenty of spark though, stuck float maybe? tapped on carb to free up float, tried again and running great with minimal gas in tank. here's the question...need to change the oil now, what can i double check before filling up the gas and ruining another 4 quarts of oil? bike is at my work place and i'm trying like hell to avoid taking the bike apart and the carbs off, any help is appreciated, sorry again for the long post. THANKS !

What would you do if it was a car?

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
      What would you do if it was a car?
      my car is my primary vehicle and is handled in a different manner, apples to oranges so it doesn't matter, but i'll likely be thinking about the relevance of that response all night so thanks for that, lol

Comment

Ok, replace the needles, check the float structure and height. Leave the carbs off the bike, install a temporary fuel tank and let them sit hour, day. Recheck for fuel leaking.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I had basically the same thing wrong with mine. .a 99 kat 750..I tried several different things to get it right. Finally after new fuel line. .filter..thoroughly clean carbs..new carb kits installed floats at correct height. ..now she wails..no leaks. I wind her up to 11 or 12000 she settles right down to 11 to 1200

Comment

Easy check to make sure no more leak: have to pull them from the bike. Fill them then with fuel, sit them somewhere level, and look for leaks. Leave them overnight, not just 10 minutes.
            But if a float got sick in the first place... It'll get stuck again. You're going to want to take'em apart and find out why.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The one thing I don’t like about my bike is the carbs. I bet carb issues are the #1 issue on this board .
              When I got this bike back in ‘98, most bikes were still carved so it was a take it or leave deal. They are finicky contraptions.
              Now that I have a fuel inject bike, I’m amazed at:
              1) No choke! Fires up immediately and without drama , even if it’s 10 degrees.
              2) Perfect fuel mixture, always! I had one trip where I went from sea level to 12,000’ in Denver. No hiccups, great power
              3) better mpg ! My katana 1100 averages 42 mpg, my c14 averages 50mpg.
              4) trouble free! My c14 is seven years old with 38k miles, all trouble free.

My katana1100 reminds of a girl friend I once had. She was flipping hot ( former homecoming princess, prom queen, looked like Victoria secret model) but she was a massive shopaholic who expected me to buy her a lot of stuff.
              If you want to keep your girl, expect to put up with those carbs !

Comment

Originally posted by Gmc310 View Post
                my car is my primary vehicle and is handled in a different manner, apples to oranges so it doesn't matter, but i'll likely be thinking about the relevance of that response all night so thanks for that, lol
                Your bike has to be taken home in a van or trailer.
                Then you're gonna need to take the carbs apart a rebuild them completely.
                All things you should have done before you trusted it for daily transportation.
                Just tired of same dumb newbee questions. LOL

Comment

Dumb questions yeah..that's what this sites for.Another thing if it's at all possible get some non ethanol gas..I did and it makes a world of difference.

Comment

Look at the bright side- own a katana long enough and you'll become an expert and working on carbs.
                    I can can change out the water pump in my '96 Impala in under an hour, I'm a total expert at it.
                    I think you can figure out why!

Comment

Lol dc I do sell auto parts...and you're right some things you just get good at

Comment

Working...
                      X