X

Car Exhausts - Disturbing Trend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Exhausts - Disturbing Trend

I don't know about the rest of the country, but there is this "trend" going on here in South Florida where riders are using car exhaust tailpipes and resonators as slip ons.
    Even a couple of riders I know have done it and they all have the same reasons... One is cost and the other is sound.
    I understand there reasonings, but something tells me that this may not be the best thing to do for your ride.
    However, I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right, and they also look a bit goofy the way they are rigged... It still is a car exhaust and looks like one mounted.
    Pretty weird.
    Ridin On ...o^o
    No problems!
    04 blu/wht kat - w/k&n upgrade

No sir, I believe we would beat tha tar outa somebody for doing something stupid like that har. *spit*

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention.

There really isn't much difference between a straight exhaust pipe for a car with a very small engine and one for a bike with a large engine, except heat and mounting issues (plus look). I think it would look cheap, and probably sound as crappy as using straight pipes, but as far as damage to the engine goes, as long as the fuel-air mix is appropriately adjusted to eliminate the lean mix that would result, there should be no damages from doing it.

Q: Weren't these the same folks who started putting maxwell house coffee cans on their neons and rice burner cars in place of the exhaust pipe after the mufflers (or in place of their mufflers)?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Car Exhausts - Disturbing Trend

Originally posted by katana04
        ... and they also look a bit goofy the way they are rigged... It still is a car exhaust and looks like one mounted.
        Pretty weird.
        Do you have pictures? :smt119
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

there is a guy around Ottawa with one on his Kat600...it looks like a mini muffler...sounds pretty cool...funny as hell to look at!

Comment

Does anyone have a picture?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Pics, Pics, Pics....
              sigpic

Comment

The majority rules, we want picture's of this setup. I think I would buy used slip-ons before doing something that insane.<ha ha>
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                  there is a guy around Ottawa with one on his Kat600...it looks like a mini muffler...sounds pretty cool...funny as hell to look at!
                  Beekman and I talked to the owner. It was off a Honda Civic.
                  Didn't sound too bad. Sure looked different though.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
                    Beekman and I talked to the owner. It was off a Honda Civic.
                    Didn't sound too bad. Sure looked different though.
                    Here's what it looked like...

Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

ok...now a sound clip!

(the owners name is Adam....very friendly!)

Comment

ok...now a sound clip!

(the owners name is Adam....very friendly!)
                        Sounded like a D&D to me.
                        Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Well that looks...uhm...different.....
                          But it does give me an idea! With a little bitty can like that it would make it a lot easier if you wanted to have a custom pipe bent and do a hidden/undertail exhaust. :-k

I knew a guy once that took the pipe off a VW Dune Buggy and put it on a FZR600. Looked like crap, sounded like crap, but it was a low budget bike and it was enough for him to be able to ride it so it served it's purpose.

Wonder what a D&D or a Yosh Race pipe would sound like on a car

Comment

NOT ON MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Don't think I like it, wouldn't trade anything for my Hindle

Comment

Working...
                              X