No announcement yet.
X

Stuck on the freeway - How to diagnose?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on the freeway - How to diagnose?

I am not mechanically inclined. So for people like me, how about a sticky or a post listing how to diagnose if you Kat dies on you on the freeway. It happened to me once, and luckily I tried to see if it would run on prime and it did. It was the vacuum hose.
    I guess people know the very basics to check, I will list them anyway.

First thing to check would be gas. Did you hit reserve, try to start in reserve.
    Secondly, the ignition kill switch.
    Does the headlight come on? Other lights? If working, the battery could potentially be ruled out.
    Check the kickstand engine kill switch. Stuck?
    Try starting the bike in Prime. (worked for me )

Well, I guess thats about as far as I know.
    - Sufyan.

Wearing helmets is NOT a civil rights issue - it is a safety issue, period!

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Those are some pretty good basics checks.

For me, my first break down on the highway was due to the throttle cable coming loose from inside the engine area. Towed to the Stealership (I was on my way anyway.)

Second time cut out on the highway, would not start, but the start was trying. Turned out the start bolt had come out. That time it was also towed to the stealership. I now have access to a pickup truck, so no more towing needed. Luckily I never had to pay for the towing anyway as it was covered by my warrenty.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

My Katana battery ran dry *doh* coming off the off ramp (luckily)

Filled it up with distilled water and ba boom...started right up! Kats live forever.

(prob a good idea to carry bike jumper cables around if you have the room)
      Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Mine died in the bank parking lot after a 70 km ride in the pouring rain. Turned out my Battery cable had come loose, a few turns of the screwdriver and she was ready to go again.

Your best bet, regardless of what bike you ride is buy the service manual. It's a very worthwhile investment.
        Kyle

Comment

I thought we had a thread like this b/4 but I cant find it right now..oh well.....lets see what we can continue to come up with.

all good points so far.. also make sure the fuel line isnt pinched or severed. if you carry jumper cables with you..be sure you dont actually start the car ur jumping from!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
            I thought we had a thread like this b/4 but I cant find it right now
            Yeah, I had a post in the suggestion forum to create a thread like this a while ago. Never got around to it.
            - Sufyan.

Wearing helmets is NOT a civil rights issue - it is a safety issue, period!

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I always have my Clymer manual on me , and it has a chapter on troubleshooting . But when MY bike doesn't start/run right , I usually know right away what it is just out of familiarity . Here's the most basic guide I know , though :
              An engine needs 3 things to run .
              1)fuel/air mixture (helps if it's close to ideal ratio, but it'll still run if it's not)
              2)compression
              3)spark at the appropriate time .
              If one of those is missing , you ain't goin' anywhere .
              Easiest things to check for are fuel and spark .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                I always have my Clymer manual on me , and it has a chapter on troubleshooting . But when MY bike doesn't start/run right , I usually know right away what it is just out of familiarity . Here's the most basic guide I know , though :
                An engine needs 3 things to run .
                1)fuel/air mixture (helps if it's close to ideal ratio, but it'll still run if it's not)
                2)compression
                3)spark at the appropriate time .
                If one of those is missing , you ain't goin' anywhere .
                Easiest things to check for are fuel and spark .
                Really? You carry it everywhere?
                AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2

Really? You carry it everywhere?
                  Yup . Never know when I might need some info on how to fix something I'm not sure about . I ALWAYS carry a tool pack , extra spark plugs , master links (finally learned that lesson after losing 2 chains!) , first aid kit (VERY basic) , and now cell phone . Used to keep it in a backpack strapped to my seat , but now I got saddlebags to keep it in . Oh yeah , I usually have a big detailed map book of Ky. . I always looked like I'm going on a road trip !
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X