X

ideas & opnions wanted

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas & opnions wanted

If this kind of problem has been covered elsewhere just point me to the thread. I've been looking for similar but haven't found any.

a brief history,
    Took the bike in for a starter replacement, valve adjust and tune up. Mechanic had it a looooong time, almost 2 months, they claimed waiting on new starter to get shipped in.. When i get it back it doesn't have the snapy revs like it used to, I've lost 9 mpg, and several mph off top end with a loss in all round engine performance. They even broke the glass covering the idiot lights & lost several chrome fairing bolts. I've been bringing it back into shape after the shop's damage but i still have one problem that is getting worse.

Problem,

Started the day after i brought it home from the shop with smoking and smelling fuel on startup. then went to being hard to start. Then got to where it acts like its locked up when i try to start it,(manually push through a couple of compression strokes and the batt will then turn it over ok). Has gotten to the point it starts like it's been majorly flooded. Yesterday i noticed fuel dripping (left a damp spot about 2 inch across after setting overnight) out the bottom of the fairing. today i put the bike on center stand while at work and noticed fuel dripping ( wet spot, almost a puddle about the size of a dinner plate in 6 hours) from the right side of the engine. also notice the oil that i changed 8 days ago was pure black in the sight glass. Changed oil! drained almost 5 quarts out of engine that was thin as water (was valvoline motorcycle 20w50) and smelled like fuel.

Ouch!!

Opinions, did the shop really screw up the carb sync? they wern't supposed to uncork any of the jets/screws/covers, just supposed to syncronize them. Is the fuel shut off not shuttin off? Or what else could let fuel get into the oil besides flooding through the carbs? What do i need to check when i open it up?

Bike = 2003 Kat 750, K&N air filter, no other engine mods, 35,000 miles.

Oh yeah,, Got aprox 2200 on it since i got it back from the shop. reason it went in was for the starter quitin, and while the shop has it might as well adjust valves and basic tune up
    Last edited by rockin6d; 08-28-2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: additional info.
    Carpie Diem!

I don't know what they did to it but def. sounds to me like they screwed with the carbs other then sync. If they are setup like the pre's then they are vacuum and unless the petcock is bad when it's not running no fuel is passing through it. In other words there is no fuel shut of. If the diaphrams in the petcock are bad they will allow fuel to pass through when it's not running and then it can over flow past the bowls and into the cylinders.
    As far as the way it's running and starting, it can be fuel related or it also sounds like they could have gotten the valves to tight.
    I don't know if any of that helps you and I don't know that I am 100% right but thats what it sounds like to me.
    sigpic
    2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
    2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin6d View Post
      Is the fuel shut off not shuttin off? Or what else could let fuel get into the oil besides flooding through the carbs? What do i need to check when i open it up?
      The flooding would be a result of the float needles sticking. I suspect from sitting for so long. It is flooding through the carbs.

What part of "open it up" are you talking about? The carbs?
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Its your fuel shut off not shutting off. I just went throught the EXACT same problem with my 2000 750. I pulled the tank to get the air box off. When I got the airbox off, it had about a quart of fuel in it. I drained a total of 7 quarts out of the oil pan/ airbox. I took the petcock off and pulled the diaphram apart. didn't see any tears in it, so I cleaned it all up and put it back together. Been running great ever since. Its worth a shot and make sure you run fresh oil through the motor and then change it before riding it. Fuel in the oil will wash down the cylinder walls and cause the rings to burn up.
        "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

combination of leaking petcock (assuming it's not set on prime) AND bad/sticking/loose float assy in at least one carb. the crappy running could well be from the float height being wrong (too much fuel in the bowl). pull the carbs and check that each float assy is firmly seated, and the 2 o-rings are snug. set the float height to 14.5mm. DRAIN AND CHANGE THE OIL IMMEDIATELY. if it's polluted with gas you're gonna do some major engine damage. drain the oil cooler too. do both of these projects before running it any more. also, replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug eery oil change. only costs ya a buck, and avoids an annoying little oil drip
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I've already changed the oil, did that at work before i brought it home. Didn't think about the oil cooler though, thanks for the reminder.

I'll open it up as far as i need to to get it fixed, i just don't want to have to do it twice!

Thanks everyone. Please keep the ideas/reminders coming in. I want to make sure i cover all possibilities when i go into it. I ride too hard and too often to take a chance on my old feeble mind forgetting or missing anything.
            Carpie Diem!

Comment

Missing bolts..... cracked dash....... bike not running right after the work was done...... they are out!.

Sounds like a possible muff up of the valve adjustment. Where did the K&N come from. During or before the service? Causes a lean condition. So many questions to ask.

How did the bike run before the work? Excluding the starter problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                Missing bolts..... cracked dash....... bike not running right after the work was done...... they are out!.

Sounds like a possible muff up of the valve adjustment. Where did the K&N come from. During or before the service? Causes a lean condition. So many questions to ask.

How did the bike run before the work? Excluding the starter problem.
                K & N the day i bought it, Put on 30,000+ miles - bike ran strong. It'ld take a good rider and a litter bike to stay ahead of me strong.

Valves were starting to get noisy when the starter quit. After push starting this monster a couple times it went to the shop. Shop came highly reccomended & i trusted the reccomends. MY MISTAKE!! Never again will I let someone else do the work because i don't have the tools at hand. but I'm still p***ed and I digress,,back to topic.

I'm expecting to have to purchase the tools needed and to re-adjust both valves and carbs, myself. I just want to cover any and all possible problems when I go into it. especially the fuel gettin into the oil part. Questions..ask them, thats how we learn.

PS - The shop was Metric Cycles in Tulsa OK. The only recommendation I'll give them is for the biggest crooks and worst mechanics I've ever seen.
                Carpie Diem!

Comment

there really isnt anything too special you'll need for either job than the valve adjustor tool (TheCyberPoet has um cheap) and a good set of metric feeler gauges. you might want a 8mm box end wrench you can put a bend in to work the lock valve stem lock nuts easier. torque wrench for the valve cover fasteners perhaps, they are VERY easy to strip out, which you really do NOT want to do.

carb cleaning could be a good excuse for buying a compressor, as you want lots and lots of air to go along with the carb cleaner
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

Address the gas in oil first. It could be time for a petcock re-build. The "O" rings go bad. That should solve that problem. Unless you put it on prime and left it on prime. If you did leave it on prime and it overflowed, you have sticky needle vales for the floats in the carb's. Do your valve adjustment on a COLD engine only. If you have a sync tool, check the carb's for balance after the valve adjustment. The shop did solve one of your problems.... bad starter.
                    Last edited by Kfreak; 08-29-2009, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                      Address the gas in oil first. It could be time for a petcock re-build. The "O" rings go bad. That should solve that problem. Unless you put it on prime and left it on prime. If you did leave it on prime and it overflowed, you have sticky needle vales for the floats in the carb's. Do your valve adjustment on a COLD engine only. If you have a sync tool, check the carb's for balance after the valve adjustment. The shop did solve one of your problems.... bad starter.
                      I'm going to start in sun. after work. I'll have sun eve and mon to get it figured out, shops around here are closed sun & mon so i can't get repair parts until tues. Bike was/has not been on prime except by mistake when trying to hit reserve while rolling. I wont be able to get a sync tool until payday but if i can get my compressor back from my brother i've got a good one of those. I've prolly got all the hand tools needed, just don't have any of the speciality stuff like vaccume gauges, compression tester, etc. So far it looks like i'm going to tear open the fuel petcock and check/repair it. check and readjust valve lash. Do another oil change. Change plugs. get a syncroniser on payday and learn how to sync the carbs. Maybe try to find an adapter for my compression gauge that will get into the top of this engine & check compression, I figure the compression gauge i have for my cars will work if i can get an adapter to reach.

Keep it coming riders, what else do I need to check?

as far as the starter - if rebuilt starters cost 285.00 or new starters come with oil stained cases then they did ok. othewise they sc***ed me there too. But i'm trying to get past it and get the bike right again.
                      Carpie Diem!

Comment

Geez, DON'T TOUCH IT! DON'T CHANGE A THING! Park that puppy, and call the Suzuki Field Service Rep- get his number from the stealership (an appropriate work if ever there was one) or another dealership if they won't give it to you. Call HIM, and insist that he come take a look at the bike pronto.

Go from there.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                          Geez, DON'T TOUCH IT! DON'T CHANGE A THING! Park that puppy, and call the Suzuki Field Service Rep- get his number from the stealership (an appropriate work if ever there was one) or another dealership if they won't give it to you. Call HIM, and insist that he come take a look at the bike pronto.

Go from there.

What good would that do?
                          Carpie Diem!

Comment

the field rep will get all over the shop, plus see it's fixed right

Comment

Oh He** no! Thats like complaining about the food in a resteraunt and sending the food back, Ya got no idea what the cook will do to it before sending it back out. No Way is that shop touchin it again!! Like usin Pen soil, NO WAY!!!!! will that gaarbage ever touch anything I own, ever. To borrow a quote "revenge is a dish best served cold". That shop will get it's due, sometime, someway, somewhere, I will make the shop pay. But now is not the time, now I just need to get my baby fixed. Vengeance will provide it's own opportunity in it's own good time.
                              Carpie Diem!

Comment

Working...
                              X