X

91-92 gsxr cams in 04 kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91-92 gsxr cams in 04 kat?

k i have a 2004 kat that i want to cam up for cheep i have done some looking throught the katriders pages and every one says to use 91-92 gsxr 750 cams in our katanas but according to ron ayers the rockers are differant becuase the 91 gsxrs have 8 lobes per cam and mine only has 4.

i have not taken mine apart yet to be sure but that is what i found on that ron ayers site and if my kat does only have 4 lobes per cam then the 1990 gsxr cams should work with out changing the rockers and what about the older gsxr 1100 cams they have the same four lobe set up but are they longer for the bigger engine.

am i wrong has any one done this to an 2004 yet any info would be great thanks

nope 88-89 GSXR 750 cams. I've done it. the 90-92 GSXR 750 is shim 8 lobes per cam. The 90-97 Katana 600 is shim, 8 lobes per cam. The 88-89 and 98+ tuna 600 and all 750 are screw 4 lobes per cam. I don't know what thread you saw that recommended 91 GSXR 750 cams, but I've said 88-89 several times.
    Last edited by arsenic; 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

sweet do you know where i can find some and do i need the spockets from the 750 or can i use mine
      Last edited by bluekat04; 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

yours, make sure you use loctite on those two bolts on those, very important. I would suggest buying them new from Ron Ayers.

Comment

90-97 Kats' were shim type?

Mine is screw type and it's a 91.

What gives?

What year Kat's had screw type valves beside 98+?

That's one of the factors as I keep an eye out for a spare engine

Thanks

Chris

Comment

all 750's were screw, maybe it's 92-97. Yeah it is 92-97

Comment

what do you suggest for jets with those cams all i have done is a leo vince slip on with a stock header i would like to put on a diff header but dont know what to go with was wondering if the stock gsxr header would bolt up and flow a little better. my bike still has stock jets in it now our elevation is about 5200 feet.

i appreciate the help you guys are awsome i usually work on cars this is all new to me!
              Last edited by bluekat04; 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM.

Comment

no,no,no, use the Ivan Katana 600 jet kit. I don't know if your Katana is a 600 or 750, but if it's a 600 use a 750 header and grind out the welds. If it is a 750 use the OEM header grind out the welds.

Ivan's katana jet kit. If your Katana is a 600 use the 750 header and grind out the welds. If it's a 750, use the OEM header and grind the welds.
                Last edited by arsenic; 11-07-2007, 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

thanks for your help arsenic you have been tons of help and my kat is a 2004 600 just to let you know.

Comment

no problem, that's what I do.

Comment

The cams mentioned will work in the 98+ engine ?
                      Won't changing the cams mean more duration at high rpm's ? Would that not call for a richer main jet ? Does Ivan's kit come with multiple jets ? inquiring minds wanna know .....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

no, the cams will not change the mix enough to warrant jetting, ask Dave, we had a talk about that.

Comment

Good enough .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            Does Ivan's kit come with multiple jets ? inquiring minds wanna know .....
                            +1 I thought all jet kits came with multiple sizes for different applications, i.e. stock header and aftermarket exhaust, full aftermarket exhaust, K&N filters/pods, (yeah i know DON'T USE K&N, was just an example) otherwise you would need to buy a new set every time you changed the bike a bit?
                            Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
                              =I thought all jet kits came with multiple sizes for different applications
                              Ivan's doesn't seem to come with extra sizes. That's one reason I chose Factory Pro.

Comment

Working...
                              X