X

Half helmets are a NO NO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half helmets are a NO NO

I just witnessed a man and his wife fall in the parking lot at my church at less than 5 mph. he was wearing no helmet and she was wearing a half helmet. AT 5mph!!!! he smashed his face on the windshield of his harley and cut above his eye needing 8 stitches. she was wearing a half helmet (which didnt even hit the ground). she smashed her chin and face and has quite a bit of rash on her face. My point here: Most of the time during a bike accident, the face is the first thing that hits the concrete. So wear a full face helmet at all times!
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

See http://dontai.com/wp/2010/05/20/moto...-impact-zones/

If you break out a calculator, you'll see that a shorty helmet won't help you at all in 61.4% of accidents and a 3/4 helmet won't do you any good in 49.3% of accidents. Those numbers are based off some pretty solid statistical analysis but don't take into account non-accidents like rocks thrown by trucks, birds flying into you or the biggest, juiciest bug I've ever seen that went right under my half-opened faceshield and splattered itself against the side of my nose, all in my eye. I love my full-face!
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I especially enjoy riding my full face helmet for two reasons, When Wind hits my face directly, I makes my eyes watery. Also when riding in the evening, I have seen umpteen bugs hit my visor.
      Yesterday I was travelling in I95 south bound and was caught behind a construction truck that was constantly spewing mud and sand kind of stuff. I dont know how people with half helmets would survive such a bashing..
      Regards
      sigpic
      2005 Katana 600

Comment

last time i had my shield open i got hit by a figgin june bug. felt like i got shot in the face. i was traveling 90mph the bug was prolly flying at me at like 5mph. i have a bruise on my face to prove it! lol
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:

Comment

I can never understand how people (in states that don't have helmet laws) ride without a helmet ? ? When I ride down into Indiana it always freaks me out to see guys pass me on the highway at 80mph in sunglasses.. Madness...
          sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by slip304 View Post
            I can never understand how people (in states that don't have helmet laws) ride without a helmet ? ? When I ride down into Indiana it always freaks me out to see guys pass me on the highway at 80mph in sunglasses.. Madness...
            my dad is a helmet less rider. he gets on and goes no problem. he says if he was forced to wear a helmet and jacket as a law, he would sell the bike. if he had to wear a helmet "i would rather just drive my car"
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
              my dad is a helmet less rider. he gets on and goes no problem. he says if he was forced to wear a helmet and jacket as a law, he would sell the bike. if he had to wear a helmet "i would rather just drive my car"
              Wow....

The way you make it sound is that he doesn't really care about the ride at all. Seems like he just sees it as a different way of getting from point A to be point B.

Comment

Those shorty helmets are only good for 2 things. Looks and the top of your head only. The rest is all a gamble........

I was riding years ago to University on the freeway. And had an open face helmet on. Was going around 65 mph and was hit with a big bumble bee that was flying across the lanes. Man, it was like getting hit with a large ball bering, and a good thing I had both hands on the handle bar because it would of knocked me right off the seat. Hit me in the head and I had a huge welp for a few weeks after that. I always wear a full face helmet to this day. At that time in California there were no helmet laws and you could ride without one if you liked. Dumb idea......
                sigpic
                98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

There is magnitude to the expression "took it on the chin". I high-sided at 65 mph on the highway while riding my 06 Kat a few years ago, and the first part of me to touch pavement was my chin. No problems there, only a sprained ankle from rolling.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

In '87 here in Cali you could still ride without a helmet, I was on the freeway, without my helmet, just sun glasses, a guy flicked the butt of his cigar out the sun roof of his BMW and it hit me square in the forehead.. I still have a small burn scar.. That was the last time I rode without a helmet.
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I think the worst was when I lived near chicago in a town called joliet. I used to ride down route 6 toward seneca and starve rock. In seneca they would hold helmet roasts protesting against wearing helmets, to me its just a congregation of people who are sick of breathing. IL is also the worst for the tough Harley riders that don't wave to anybody but harleys. Now I live in Az and you can tell when the tourists come cause of that mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
                        I think the worst was when I lived near chicago in a town called joliet. I used to ride down route 6 toward seneca and starve rock. In seneca they would hold helmet roasts protesting against wearing helmets, to me its just a congregation of people who are sick of breathing. IL is also the worst for the tough Harley riders that don't wave to anybody but harleys. Now I live in Az and you can tell when the tourists come cause of that mentality.
                        i beg to differ. wisconsin is home of the harley davidson. they all think their bad arse up here. no helmets.. all of em
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                          i beg to differ. wisconsin is home of the harley davidson. they all think their bad arse up here. no helmets.. all of em

sorry my helmet doesnt match my harley..

Comment

Originally posted by nitros222 View Post
                            sorry my helmet doesnt match my harley..

Well you need the helmet to mount the lights to for when yours go back out. LOL I.e. From the Ohio meet back to Wi...
                            I am a Penn State fanatic.
                            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

When I was taking the test to get my licence there was a guy with a half helmet trying to convince everybody that a full face helmet is more dangerous because it will break your jaw, or break your neck or something when you go down (can't remember exactly). He said he's rather had road rash on his face than a broken neck, so a half helmet is safer.

Comment

Working...
                              X