X

How to turn the Kat into a "classic styled" Cafe Racer Replica

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to turn the Kat into a "classic styled" Cafe Racer Replica

Hello, been toying with the idea. I love my Katana, preformance, the ride, the reliability, quickness. But I love the look of the old Duccatis, the Triumph Thruxtons, ect.

Has anyone ever attempted or given any thought as to what would be needed to make it look like a old cafe racer?

If I had pgotoshop skills I would start this on my own, but mabey someone here can help. The first things would be to take of the fairing, and get some claasic gages. I assume the second step would be to find a new tank, seat and rear cowl.... and mabey some spoked wheels that would fiyt on our hubs... with sume clubman styled bar mirrors.

Any one done this? Or would it just be miuch easier to sell my Kat and look for a old CB 750?

(I reallllly like my Kat 750).

By the way, I have put over 3 k miles on her since I bought her in July, verry happy.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pics, drawing, sugestions, ect... would be appreciatted.

Ride safe an Happy New Years!

I would like my Katana to resemble something like this....
    Attached Files
    Do or do not, there is no Try...
    -Master Yoda

Current Bike; 2005 Katana 750

Don't touch your Kat ,I have the its twin .a buddy of mine picked up a CB900 on Craig's list for 50 bucks .Id spend 50-500 before i'd mess with 5000. Just my thoughts . Good luck

opinions are like a$$holes everyones got one
    I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

I think Irish has the right idea. Hang onto your kat and look for a project.
      That way you'll still be able to ride your 750, while starting with something closer to the cafe style you seek. There are literally hundreds of bikes that would make a good start cheap. XS's, KZ's, CL's, CB's, etc.
      Good luck Richard
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Ditto...lots of CBs out there to toy with...likely some Kawa's/Yammies too.
        2004 GSX750F

Comment

There's also a whole bunch of junker Kats out there if you're set on the Kat ergos and engine. Keep your stock Kat looking good and find something that would need all kinds of stuff to bring it back to stock anyway.

As for parts I'd go with an early-80s GS bike for the gauges, headlight, tank etc.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Here's my cafe build from last summer, its based off a 1982 Yamaha SECA 400 I picked up for $100.

This is not a final picture of it, as I put VW bug resenators on it

Comment

Thank you all for the smart advice, and feedback. Mabey I can find a old triumph frame and find me a Kat 750 motor and trans to put in it... My motor/shift pattern feels perfect for me, I am so glad I bought this bike.

It makes alot more sense to leave it as is and try to make a cafe racer out of something not as perfect as my bike (hope that does not sound conceited, lol).

God Jockey, awesome job on the 400! Very sharp. How does a 400 sound with a bettle exhaust? I am very curious as I have owned several bugs, and the sound difference with and without the baffles are WAY different, also is your dual or single at the end?

Thanks again guys.
              Do or do not, there is no Try...
              -Master Yoda

Current Bike; 2005 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by JEDI View Post
                God Jockey, awesome job on the 400! Very sharp. How does a 400 sound with a bettle exhaust? I am very curious as I have owned several bugs, and the sound difference with and without the baffles are WAY different, also is your dual or single at the end?

Thanks, its dual pipes, I tried it with out the vw resonators and it'd just fall flat on its face at like 7.5k rpm, it was too loud and barky too.

With them, it revs much better and harder, even tho I rejetted I just dont think the carbs were made for what I was asking out of them before hand. It sounds much better and smoother, hard to explain, but sounds nice with the two cylinder "glub glub" sound, as a 400cc its perfect for around town but i'd only take it on a few highways definetly not the faster moving ones.

Go to dotheton.com for more ideas.

Comment

[QUOTE=JEDI;2018768]
                  It makes alot more sense to leave it as is and try to make a cafe racer out of something not as perfect as my bike (hope that does not sound conceited, lol).

No that doesn't seam conceited.
                  Right now I'm in the middle of an 89 600 kat project. Bandit motor, Hayabusa front forks, GSXR 5.5 rear wheel / swing arm widening, full powder coat, new everything, etc,etc,etc. People have asked me why don't I just put that all into my 750, that I just finished a full restoration/ Mod last spring. As far as my taste goes its perfect, and I don't want to mess up what I've already done. Besides two bike are always better then one.
                  Richard
                  96 Suzuki GSX750F
                  89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                  05 Yamaha WR450F
                  05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X