X

Restoring an 88 GSX1100FJ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring an 88 GSX1100FJ

So the owner of the local moto shop gave me a pre-employment project to complete. He had this bike in his graveyard and introduced it as a "shitbucket". Then he gave it to me

My 'job' is to get this machine running and driving and to show off my mechanical prowess and aptitude to earn a paid position in his facility. I am excited to 'own' another bike after i sold my first bike (a chinese honda clone 250) and glad to save a great machine with good provenance.

Anyways, this one has sat for many years. Front Master cylinder is siezed, I have that soaking to try and free up the piston and spring. Yesterday I pulled the tank and carbs to get the 'fuel'(if one could even call it that at this point)(it seems more like an actual shitbucket by looking inside) out and restored to an operable condition. After shaking some BBs and used gas i found a couple of seeping pinholes at the left front of the tank. Guess I will have to weld that shut before i continue the rust removal process as they leak enough to make a decent mess.

The carb rack is intact and complete.#1 and #4 had 'fuel' resting on the valves, and since there was so much water in the tank i fear the seats or the valves themselves may be compromised. Compression testing and leakdown testing will reveal any issues. We suspected the throttle cable was incorrectly installed, but in fact, all four throttles are frozen closed. the cable at the control moves freely and smoothly. If I understand correctly, these are 34mm flatside CV Mikunis. Should the 36mm carbs work as a backup upgrade if the originals prove to be junk? What about vacuum issues with the larger mixers?

She needs shoes and the shocks need rebuilt, any recommendations for modifications while I am in there?

I am looking forward to this build and riding again, though I have some trepidations at throwing my 5'7" 160lb self over the seat of a 150HP beast

heres a little Eye Candy, more pics to come as I spend more time with the bike.

1988 GSX1100FJ
    sigpic
    Instagram @derdmn
    1976 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six
    2013 Chevy Equinox 2.3 EcoTec (plans for turbo system)

So today the master cylinder got unfrozen and disassembled, (ultrasonic parts cleaners are good stuff) and the tank got washed in prep for welding. Have a new piston and spring on order for the master cyl. rear should be fine with a clean and reassemble.

I did some heavy drinking last night in preparation for my 24th Birthday and woke up with a mystery head wound. Big hangover, so not much happened besides me hanging out in the shop and washing the tank.
    1988 GSX1100FJ
    sigpic
    Instagram @derdmn

Comment

Sub'd
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Sub'd
        thanks shieplers
        1988 GSX1100FJ
        sigpic
        Instagram @derdmn

Comment

I always enjoy seeing what people can do with basket cases, good luck.
          Kyle

Comment

i did a bunch of stuff on friday 2/17. will post picture later.

gas tank is fixed. carbs are disassembled and cleaned.

have many pics to share.
            1988 GSX1100FJ
            sigpic
            Instagram @derdmn

Comment

friday 2/17 image dump

1988 GSX1100FJ
              sigpic
              Instagram @derdmn

Comment

Now that you've welded the tank, you need to seal it. You removed the galvanized coating inside the tank. POR-15 is a great tank coating.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

2/17 explanation

disassembled carbs, put into sonic washer.they were very dirty so theyve been in the soup for three days now. welded tank. prepped master cylinder for rebuild, will look at caliper (FR) before completing system refurb.

tank went together fairly well considering it was mu first time welding on a gas tank. there were probably better options, considering i did expand the hole quite a bit, but the shop had just bought a new miller MIG machine so everyone was eager to try it. its functional, and now i can finish cleaning the crud from inside.

did a parts run to wally world, for those LED work lights which we installed in a couple of areas. They work so well, the plan is to get many many more.

the beer was for a little spring cleaning; with one mechanic recently leaving the shop, some shuffling and organizing was required. many beers were drank, and i built a rubber insulated rope handle for the wheelie trash can, since it is mostly my job to take it out when im there.

finished the night at a friends to play some King's Cup ( i like 5 - drive wonderful game) and the hat was a gift from my friend, its the shop hat.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Now that you've welded the tank, you need to seal it. You removed the galvanized coating inside the tank. POR-15 is a great tank coating.
                  the tank still needs lots of rust and crud removal before i can POR it. and our shop keeps KREEM on hand, so i will be most likely using that product. +1 on that advice though. You're very correct.
                  Last edited by derdmn; 02-19-2017, 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  1988 GSX1100FJ
                  sigpic
                  Instagram @derdmn

Comment

Kreem is junk, it WILL peel off and has a tendency to dissolve. POR is like armore..
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Kreem is junk, it WILL peel off and has a tendency to dissolve. POR is like armore..
                      just so i can share this with my employers with a degree of credibility,,,, how many tanks have you done or handled with each product? I've never used either, but did a good degree of research when i had a 79 Honda CB750F to restore which died on the table... ( i still have the bones to frankenstein at a later date if i want to)
                      1988 GSX1100FJ
                      sigpic
                      Instagram @derdmn

Comment

I used Kreem once, POR-15 three times and one extra as a frame coating on my jeep but, use the search above. There are a few that had problems with Kreem.
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-21-2017, 09:34 AM.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Done 3 tanks with por 15, longest ago was ~4 years. Still holding up great.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

5 tanks with por-15 - no issues.

4 of the 5 tanks were to clean out /resolve bad kreem coats that had started to break down. 1 was for my personal bike that I still have and use. No issues since por-15.

I think I still have a tank that was kreem coated that's now basically just a sieve. There are so many rust pin holes in the bottom that I don't have it in the "to fix pile". I just use it as a fitment part on projects so I don't have to worry about weight/scratching on good tanks. I believe the reason it's so rusted out, is the kreem did not stop rust. It still just rotted away under the coating. eventually the coating gave way... and the tank is worthless now as a container.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the firsthand's yall. i appreciate the adivce. I should be able to get in the shop tomorrow, Wednesday to get some other things going.
                              1988 GSX1100FJ
                              sigpic
                              Instagram @derdmn

Comment

Working...
                              X