PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Transmission Question/Problem

csfender125
04-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I am having some issues with my new bike's transmission. When I am stopping if I stop completely without shifting all the way down to 1st before I stop, it will almost always jam up and won't shift at all. The first time it happen was the 3rd day I had it with about 30 miles on it, I had to stop very very quickly and this caught me off guard so I forgot to pull the clutch. The engine died and it would not shift out of 6th. Once I got it going about 20 it then started shifting and I got it to 2nd where I needed it. It seems that it always does it if I stop quickly without shifting at the same time. In fact, one time i was in 5th and got on the brakes hard but not to a stop, just to 15mph and it would not downshift after that.
it has 579 miles on it.

Ideas, is this an adjustment issue, do i just need to make sure i down shift. If this is normal I will learn to ride around this, if not I'll get it fixed.

diavolo
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
You can try just easing out the clutch a bit - just before it grabs- and then pull it back in, that should enable you to down shift back to first.

Drezdun
04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
mine does this too, if i'm going anything more than like 10km/h it will just grind into 1st, sometimes not at all, and other times it shifts into 1st no problems.

Very weird, annoying but i just dont shift into 1st unless i'm coming to a complete stop :S

csfender125
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
i noticed that worked a couple of days ago, i guess it turns the gear teeth enough to mesh together