PDA

View Full Version : just won a solo cowl on ebay

MiloDK
12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
152 dollars (not including shipping)

pretty happy right now... :)

only thing is.. the seller has 2 up for sale... the other one is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/suzuki-katana-solo-cowl_W0QQitemZ260187291276QQihZ016QQcategoryZ310QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i find i a bit suspecious, that he can have 2 of them for sale, when they are so hard to come by...

what do you guys think?

#1 Moses
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I thik they are boot les. some one is making copys in a fiber glas factory. or in the home work shop. just my guess. shouldnt be hard if you whip up a mould.:smt036

Waltari
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I thik they are boot les. some one is making copys in a fiber glas factory. or in the home work shop. just my guess. shouldnt be hard if you whip up a mould.:smt036

Thats kind of what I thought they might be doing. I emailed the seller and asked "what brand his cowl was" and that I was interested. He neve emailed me back.:smt107

chinto
12-03-2007, 03:33 PM
it could be a knock off. Hard to say though, it kind of looks like it has a slightly different shape to it around the area of the back bolt hole. It also does not appear to have the same wave or ripple that all braada's cowls seem to have. :dunno:

steves
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Don't see any tabs either.

IndyGunner
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
teddy made his own cowl out of a sweatshirt and some fiberglass..... could be the same deal here.

If its a nock off, it dosent really matter.... as long as it dosent break in 5 min ur good :)

Waltari
12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
teddy made his own cowl out of a sweatshirt and some fiberglass..... could be the same deal here.

If its a nock off, it dosent really matter.... as long as it dosent break in 5 min ur good :)

I think the question is whether the seller used one of Jim's cowls to directly make a mold and whether it's infringing on some kind of copyright.

Randy G
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I emailed the seller about these also, never got a response.

nosupra4u
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
ya better watch out and not **** the seller off incase he got his dragunov

Waltari
12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
ya better watch out and not **** the seller off incase he got his dragunov

Well...I'm pretty sire he doesn;t have a range of over 1200 miles so I feel safe:smt107

Mojoe
12-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I think the question is whether the seller used one of Jim's cowls to directly make a mold and whether it's infringing on some kind of copyright.

so what if he used one of Jim's as a mold? the lack of tabs and no ripples and waves make it different than Jims. Seat cowls are made by several different companies, and NO ONE has sole rights to do so. About the only thing Jim can protest is if they call it a Bradaa cowl.

it's the same for 99.9% of all aftetrmarket parts for bikes......the products are the same from one brand to another, and the only rights they really have are their trademark names.

Waltari
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
so what if he used one of Jim's as a mold? the lack of tabs and no ripples and waves make it different than Jims. Seat cowls are made by several different companies, and NO ONE has sole rights to do so. About the only thing Jim can protest is if they call it a Bradaa cowl.

I'm not saying Jim has the sole right to make a cowl, just curious if the guy is DIRECTLY using Jim's cowl to produce his mold.

#1 Moses
12-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Theirs a bunch of Dragonov shootin Apaches Down at the Junction some where in Arizona. who are true craftsmen of the Old ways of the fiberglass!

VifferJim
12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
If you're looking for an OEM cowl, with the bumper - perfect, never mounted shape. I painted the vinyl bumper cover black to match my seat, but never got to putting it on... PM me.

C'mon - Daddy wants a new shotgun for Christmas and could use the scratch.

steves
12-03-2007, 05:54 PM
If you're looking for an OEM cowl, with the bumper - perfect, never mounted shape. I painted the vinyl bumper cover black to match my seat, but never got to putting it on... PM me.

C'mon - Daddy wants a new shotgun for Christmas and could use the scratch.

I think they are talking about 98+ cowls Jim....

Erki
12-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah i won one from him also. Havnt got it myself yet as i had it shiped to my folks place. My dad took pics of the underside and it doesnt have tabs but Im sure I'll figure a way to mount it. Personally i dont care who makes it just as long as it fits and is durable enough. But hey the price was right for me.

VifferJim
12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I think they are talking about 98+ cowls Jim....

Oooops. I thought that cowl looked a little funky. :lol:

KatanaSoldier
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
The guy selling these is a smart business man!

Mojoe
12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
The guy selling these is a smart business man!

yup....put them up one at a time so all the suckas pay the big bucks.

I'm not saying Jim has the sole right to make a cowl, just curious if the guy is DIRECTLY using Jim's cowl to produce his mold.

well if he is, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

BigBadAl16
12-03-2007, 11:15 PM
yeah you beat me in that bid then i won the other one lol

i talked to the seller and i thought he might only have one but he said he does have 2. But some of my questions he didnt answer so im a lil nervous...i hope that these are the real deal and arent some stupid scam.

Zepp
12-03-2007, 11:58 PM

Does he have a patent on it? I highly doubt it. Therefore, it can be made, copied, whatever. It is not to hard to do it and there is a market for them.

If someone can make them faster and cheaper then they will be able to sell them. That is the bottom line and called free enterprise. It happens every day.

Erki
12-04-2007, 12:16 AM
yeah you beat me in that bid then i won the other one lol

i talked to the seller and i thought he might only have one but he said he does have 2. But some of my questions he didnt answer so im a lil nervous...i hope that these are the real deal and arent some stupid scam.

I dont think its a scam. Mine got shipped. Havnt been able to try it to check for fitment but i did get it.

chinto
12-04-2007, 12:17 AM
I dont think its a scam. Mine got shipped. Havnt been able to try it to check for fitment but i did get it.

is it plastic or fibreglass?

Erki
12-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Mines still at my folks in the states because I didnt want to complicate anything with shipping to canada but here is the pic my dad sent me of the bottom. From what I can tell Ill venture a guess that it looks plastic but not sure.

MiloDK
12-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Mines still at my folks in the states because I didnt want to complicate anything with shipping to canada but here is the pic my dad sent me of the bottom. From what I can tell Ill venture a guess that it looks plastic but not sure.

That looks like fiberglass to me... But nice to hear you got one from him... :)

BigBadAl16
I hope he ships mine before yours.. ;)

mharrison
12-04-2007, 10:29 AM
That looks like fiberglass to me...

+1 I'd call that fiberglass with the uneven underside.

Waltari
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Looks like glass to me as well.

Black_peter
12-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm officially done caring

I don't know why you started..
:lol:

Even if the guy used a Braada as a mold does that matter?
The shape (if distictive) can be copy written, not patented.
The idea for a cowl cannot be since Suzuki offered them on the 600 and loads of people make them for other sport bikes. No tabs too so there is another element out of the argument. The guy makes no claimes to it being Bradda or even Braada like.. Bottom line?
Did you get what you wanted? Case closed..

Quick2Scramble
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Looks like glass to me as well. Ok, so I emailed the ebay seller asking about them and got zero response. Emailed Jim at Braada bring the debate to light and asking if everyone here was cracked and if this guy in Arizona had actually bought a number of them but also got no response.

I'm officially done caring

I don't see why you gave a rats arse in the first place. A cowl is a cowl is a cowl. It's not being passed off as Braada, case in point. Do you have an interest in Braada Concepts that this bothered you to such an extent?

:smt011

teddy
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
That one looks like fiberglass to me, especially since there appears to be a seam along the leading edge at the top of the curve for the front part down to the seat. The simple fact is that these are a lot easier to make than everyone thinks, really. We shouldn't be at all surprised that this is happening....

Waltari
12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't see why you gave a rats arse in the first place. A cowl is a cowl is a cowl. It's not being passed off as Braada, case in point. Do you have an interest in Braada Concepts that this bothered you to such an extent?

:smt011

No but my studio is currently developing body parts for the gsxf models and it disturbs me to see someone blatently ripping off the hard work of another.

teddy
12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Waltari, it happens all the time. Ever been to SEMA? There are dozens of Chinese guys running around all over the place checking out everyone's new technology. They buy it, take it home, copy it with second-rate materials and sell them cheaper. Kind of like what is happening here. Someone got a Braada cowl, copied it with a second-rate material (fiberglass is crap next to ABS, you know that) and is selling them readily available. I think the key here is to cover your butt as far as copyrights, patents, and the like, including the use of different materials if possible. I am not trying to deter you from making your parts, but it's gonna happen man, thats a part of the risk involved in doing business. Some even call it competition in the marketplace :wink:

thetable
12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Or to come up with a business model where you are able to sell the cheaply enough or such a high quality, that no one else would want to compete. It is, in my mind, all about the value you can offer.

tzortn
12-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Or to come up with a business model where you are able to sell the cheaply enough or such a high quality, that no one else would want to compete. It is, in my mind, all about the value you can offer.

That is not always true. Often what you need to do is establish your brand as a "gotta have". People will pay extra for the name.

As for Waltari's concern about blatant ripoffs like the others said it is going to happen. That is why you need to always be looking for the next hot item.

Erki
12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes I agree that this happens. Personally I didn't want to wait X number of months to get a cowl and was too lazy to make one. I saw this and thought I would give it a try. Doesn't matter who made it as long as it works and I didn't have to do it. There will always be things that people do themselves cuz they would rather put in a little work and save a little cash. But there will always be those that would just rather buy the piece to save the hassle or else they aren't inclined to do it themselves.

Quick2Scramble
12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
No but my studio is currently developing body parts for the gsxf models and it disturbs me to see someone blatently ripping off the hard work of another.

And since this is America, I'm sure someone will do a knockoff of your parts as well if they are any bit unique. That's just how it goes.

Waltari
12-04-2007, 09:07 PM
:trollsign:

KatanaSoldier
12-04-2007, 09:37 PM

:lmaoThat is the first time I have seen that used:lmao

Quick2Scramble
12-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Funny Waltari, you had no problem when Teddy told it like it is. He said exactly what I did except his was longer. That must be because he's a mod and you're a supporter of the site. :roll: Maybe if you're so worried about products getting duped you should just throw in the towel and not make anything. That way you wouldn't have to worry about competition. Know why Braada isn't complaining? Because he's got a superior product. That's why the genuine article fetches more money. Like was posted earlier, as long as the cowl does what it's supposed to the guy doesn't care what it's made of. Some people feel that way, others want the genuine article because it's better quality and will last longer. Without competition there's nothing to make your superior product stand out above the rest. That's plain old Business 101.

:lame:

Waltari
12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Funny Waltari, you had no problem when Teddy told it like it is. He said exactly what I did except his was longer. That must be because he's a mod and you're a supporter of the site. :roll: Maybe if you're so worried about products getting duped you should just throw in the towel and not make anything. That way you wouldn't have to worry about competition. Know why Braada isn't complaining? Because he's got a superior product. That's why the genuine article fetches more money. Like was posted earlier, as long as the cowl does what it's supposed to the guy doesn't care what it's made of. Some people feel that way, others want the genuine article because it's better quality and will last longer. Without competition there's nothing to make your superior product stand out above the rest. That's plain old Business 101.

:lame:

no sense of humor whatsoever...oh well:clap

chinto
12-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Know why Braada isn't complaining? Because he's got a superior product.

I doubt its superior. He just probably is complaining because he hasn't checked his emails yet and doesn't realize whats happening :lol:

Mojoe
12-05-2007, 12:02 AM
I did have something else to say on the subject......but changed my mind. hence the edit and delete.

steves
12-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Nothing productive is happening in this thread. Move along.