PDA

View Full Version : Getting my niece to wear Gear

Sundowner
10-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Heya Kids,
I had a conversation with my older sister tonight over the phone, she has brought it to my attention that her 18 year old daughter has a new bf with a Honda CBR 600 RR. (I know this is heading to trouble already). Point is she is not wearing any gear at all, minus a helmet (which i have yet to see if it even fits right). With three other riders in the family not wearing any gear whatsoever, it falls to me to try and educate a 18 year old with a "nothing will happen to me" mentality to attempt to correct this.
I am going to show her the Road Rash Queen Website, but any advise i am in desperate need of here, would be very helpful.
Thanks Guys and Gals

md86
10-24-2007, 02:41 AM
I could show her MY road tattoos :dunno: . They're pretty cool ..... :lol:

Zepp
10-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Hopefully she will listen to you.

89AZKat
10-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Its funny you posted this. There was an accident today only minutes away from my shop on a really twisty road where a guy riding a CBR hugged a corner too close, slid out and well managed to lose his head on a piece of guard rail. He would've been saved if he'd worn a helmet.

Sasquatch
10-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Tell her to sit down and READ this...

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

Jax
10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Sometimes just showing them the facts is not enough....take a piece of large grit sand paper, the type you would use to really tear up a piece of wood with latex paint...take the piece and take one swipe to her arm or leg...not hard enough to tear skin but just to make a light scratch...then say that is like 1/10 of what it feels like...imagine putting all your weight down and scraping on this at 30mph..except that instead of this clean sand it's asphalt with all the dirt on the road...also I'm sure you could visit any emergency room that has squids with injuries and some one would let you visit these people if you explained your situation...

Sundowner
10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
yep thats the site im gonna sit her down to read. you think after seeing me ride next to her mom's car for 2 1/2 hours on a trip to Ft Myers, you think it would be in grained in her head to wear gear. Lets see what happens...

Black_peter
10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
That is a good article because she was in the exact safe position as your niece.

There is also that video of the GF falling off the wheelieing Ninja.
If you are on my space and can contact her I'm willing to bet the Rash Queen will email/PM your niece with some advice..

Sundowner
10-24-2007, 10:43 AM
when i did the search last night/this morning on the RRQ, i saw that she did have a MySpace Page. Im gonna have her take a look at her page as well.

IndyGunner
10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I hate hearing about people like that. Im 17 and i wear full gear all the time. Its just dumb not to.

Texas Blonde
10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
My husband's favorite saying is, "Dress for the crash ... not the ride."

Tell her that sweat washes off, road rash doesn't. She may think she looks cool now, but ...

All you can do is attempt to educate her then pray she will listen and wear her gear ... hopefully without having to learn the hard way.

Good luck!

wildcard845
10-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I feel like I'm riding naked without my gear. Can't ride without it.

Sundowner
10-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Well i had the talk with my niece today. After she read the story of the Road Rash Queen it made her think a little bit more of what she has to do to be safe while riding on the passenger seat. I didn't rant or anything, just said "our Sport is dangerous, and I want to make sure you dont end up like Brittany. Out of the riders in the family i am taking the time to educate you on what could happen if you got into a crash"
She took the info i provided her very well and i beleive after reading the site, she is thinking twice about alot of things.
Thanks for the help guys

Nero
10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
You know, the odd thing about the whole 'full gear' movement is that the strongest proponents are those that have suffered the effects of road rash. It's too bad that many don't see the need for gear until after they've experienced the results of not having it when they needed it most. -Me included.

eviilil0ne
10-28-2007, 08:43 AM
i had all but riding pants a good month before i ever got my bike .. just made sense to me :dunno:

Sasquatch
10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm glad to hear she is rethinking her situation.

Having gear is the only way to go. I see all these people riding in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt/tank top and I think 'its going to suck bad when you go down'...

Zepp
10-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I feel like I'm riding naked without my gear. Can't ride without it.

yeah, I agree. For me it is not an option, ever.

md86
10-28-2007, 10:36 PM
You know, the odd thing about the whole 'full gear' movement is that the strongest proponents are those that have suffered the effects of road rash. It's too bad that many don't see the need for gear until after they've experienced the results of not having it when they needed it most. -Me included.
Indeed . I learned the hard way :dunno: . TWICE . That's why I wear LEATHER instead of mesh . :lol:

sleekkatanarider
11-14-2007, 02:53 AM
When I got my first bike, I bought my helmet, jacket and gloves... Didn't even think about it. Just did.. Then when I went on a decently long ride to get boots, I had a minor spill... On loose gravel.

Everything above my waist, which was protected, was fine... But I had a big bruise on my hip and the ankle I landed on felt a little banged up.

If I had the boots, I would've only had the bruise on my hip to show for the accident. If I were going any faster, I'm sure road rash would've been present.

Anyone who uses the excuse that's it's too hot to wear the right gear is fooling themselves. Wear the right gear and you can ride in just about any temperature in my experience. Plenty of good, armored textile jackets that will keep you cool.

Oh, and if I were Brittany's father... I would've KICKED THAT GUY'S AS5 INTO OBLIVION! You know he was doing about 120 - 140 when the wind took her... How the hell does someone tumble for 500+ feet?

She should've held onto him... Use him as a cushion to break the fall. Hopefully he would've died and her only a few bruises.... I hope they sued his stupid ***... They would've gotten some nice money... Not that it's going to help her that much with all the scarring. You can't replace that with money.

zspencer
11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Although the idiot driving the bike in Brittany's situation was well, an idiot... I don't believe a lawsuit would be proper response. Brittany herself did what I think is wisest, she put her story out there, got people to know her, and isn't afraid to show her scars if it will raise awareness of the need for gear (esp for passengers).

I hope your niece takes the story to heart. I need to finish my compliment of gear still... Need boots and pants.

sleekkatanarider
12-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Although the idiot driving the bike in Brittany's situation was well, an idiot... I don't believe a lawsuit would be proper response. Brittany herself did what I think is wisest, she put her story out there, got people to know her, and isn't afraid to show her scars if it will raise awareness of the need for gear (esp for passengers).

I hope your niece takes the story to heart. I need to finish my compliment of gear still... Need boots and pants.

Okay, forget the suing... Just have the boy's a$$-kicked into oblivion...

David F C
12-01-2007, 03:56 AM
The helmet and full gear already saved my life once. That said I don't think there's nothing more to say.

Try to get her to read the answers in this thread.