X

Homemade Manometer Endeavor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Manometer Endeavor

I've needed to sync my carbs for quite some time now, but I haven't been willing to pay someone else or buy a real sync tool. I'm starting my plans now for all the winter mods I'll be doing, so I've been on the site a lot and started reading about these homemade manometers.

Originally posted by ctandc
    Originally posted by stealth94rttt
    Can you go into a little more detail about the sync tool? Did you just use two vacuum gauges? Would a manometer be more accurate?

Thanks,
    Josh
    I used a homemade manometer. Like CP said it's only measuring TWO of the carbs not FOUR. You can sync each carb to another but not truly sync bank to bank.

I got two long Home Depot yard sticks (@ $3.00 for both)

Then I got 25ft of 1/4" clear plastic tubing ( @ $5.00 )

I tape the two yardsticks together side by side. Then I found the middle point of the hose and marked it. Then I looped the hose onto the yardsticks, using tie wraps to hold it, then clear tape.

Then I used a syringe to put some red ATF in the line. I put the contraption on the ground, climbed on top of my truck's toolbox, then used the syringe to put in the ATF. Wait overnight, with the manometer taped / secured, and the hoses secured up...and all the fluid will settle and even out.

That's it.

Like I said, it worked. But for the money, I'm looking at the carb tune.

HTH
    Chris
    So I decided to do the same thing. I just finished making into my workshelves in my garage and haven't tested it out yet.

The tubing is probably 30+feet(not sure since the guy measured with his hands), I used 10W30 penzoil I had extra laying around the garage and it's filled to the 25" mark. I figure there's a bout 7' from the bottom to the top where the tube loops back down.
    I'll post on how well it performs once I get a chance to put it in action.

On a Side Note:
    My bike normally has the main fairings on, and I took them off in consideration of doing the Synching, but I knew I wouldn't have time and began putting things back on so I could ride it legally to work on base. I hadn't even realized before that I could go semi-SF and put the mirrors and blinkers back on.
    Anyway, here's what my bike usually looks like.

My fairings isn't doing so well, and my oil cap is even worse(Falls right out, but new one on order).
    1996 SUZUKI
    KATANA 600F

The child is not part of the MAN-o-Meter!! LOL
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Man, that's a LOT of tubing! I have the cheaper circular gauge-type carb syncers- all that tubing makes me like it again!
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

ouch, that faring don't look so hot.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
          Man, that's a LOT of tubing! I have the cheaper circular gauge-type carb syncers- all that tubing makes me like it again!
          How are those working for you? I'd like to get the new Morgan carbtune, but $20-$30 is well, $20-$30 that can be used elsewhere.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

uummmm... organize your garage

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
              How are those working for you? I'd like to get the new Morgan carbtune, but $20-$30 is well, $20-$30 that can be used elsewhere.
              Where can you get the new Morgan Carbtune for $20-30?

Comment

You don't need that much tubing really.. Since the idea of this type of tool (not strictly a manometer) is to balance the two tubes. You can get away with a smaller amount of oil too. Unless one of the two carbs is really far off the bubble of oil should only move a few CM one way or the other. ( I can elaborate is needed) This method BTW is a lot more accurate than the gauge style.
                And it is accurate forever.

A few other points:
                1. I have the same cordless drill as you!
                2. The kid is cute, leave him as part of the setup!
                3. I guess they had a big sale on diapers?!?!?!

Comment

Yep, we only get diapers on sale. That amount of oil and tubing is very beneficial because the oil does move a lot with even a small change in vacuum, and if the oil goes past all the way into one side air will pass and oil will shoot up past the top. I've determined the best amount of oil is about 1/3 the height. the extra tubing coming down is also nice in giving me some room to work.
                  1996 SUZUKI
                  KATANA 600F

Comment

Working...
                  X