X

Generator question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator question

I just bought my motorcycle a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had much chance to ride it but every couple of days I'd start it and let it idle a bit to keep the battery charged.

I went to ride it yesterday and the battery was nearly dead, not charged enough to run the engine. I jumped it and then checked the voltage coming from the generator at idea and it was only around 11.2 or so. I checked it at the battery terminals.

When I rev the engine the voltage spikes up to 13 or 14.. can't remember. I rode it for an hour or so and had to cut it off a couple of times during that ride and it started back up just fine.

Is that a normal voltage for the generator to put out at low idle? Or is it possible that my generator is going bad?

Thanks for any insight that you guys (or gals) might give.

Bryan

Oh... and I did search for this in the forum but only saw postings of voltages at high idle or at higher RPM's.

My manual says to test the charging system with the engine at 4k or 5k rpm's. And it should test at 13 volts or above. I'm only following the manual though, I know very little about bikes, I;m still learning. Just thought I'd post something other than a question for once.

Comment

Thanks for that info.. I'll have to check it again with that in mind.

You'd think though that it would charge the system at idle too.. seems weird to me.

Comment

Yeah , they usually seem to spit out rhe same voltage at idle ..... but if it goes up to around 14v , you should at LEAST still be charging .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X