X

Need help - vacuum and fuel routing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - vacuum and fuel routing

I have a 95 Katana 600, and I need some info, or schematics, which ever people have. I recently bought the bike from a freind that was working on it, the original motor had blown up, and he bought another motor to put in. Problem being is I don't think he setup the vacuum at all, and I don't even think the fuel lines are right. The bike runs but only runs on 2 cylinders, 3 and 4. The compression is around 144+/- on all cylinders. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to get this on the road. I am currently riding my ninja 250 and its gettin borin quick. I have a service manual but it doesnt have the fuel or vacuum routing.

Thanks in advance

Good compression..
    OK the drawing:

The only vacuum is a tube running from Carb #4 (far right as sitting on the bike) to the fuel switch.
    another one.

There should be gas line to the 1/2 and 3/4 pairs. Maybe that's why it's only running on 3/4?
    I have a 750 and they are different. Sorry I can't be more help

Comment

Not to Hijack the thread but does it matter which side of the petcock goes to 1&2 and 3&4? I know that lets just say the prime side or back nipple of petcock goes to 1&2 and the reserve side or front goes to 3&4 but due to some large A$$ fuel filters I had to change them around to fit in there. TIA
      It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

Comment

Don't matter , so long as the don't take too many bends or anything and flow mostly downhill ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ok here I am now

Alright, so I got the vacuum set-up, started it up. It ran, but back fired. At first all cylinders were hot, except number 4. It stalled, then I started up again, and 2 and 4 were cold. I talked to my freind and he said 2 and 4 did't run before. What is the common between the 2 cylinders? Pulled the plugs and the plugs for those to cylinders completly dry. When i started and put my hand in front of the carbs, they all were sucking. The two hoses between the carbs at the top, where are they suppose to go. Hopefully someone can help me, I don't want to have to take it to a bike shop, just because 1 the will laugh, and two it will be hella expensive. Thank you to everyone that has helped out so far. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Comment

No common link between those cylinders really . But the fact that the plugs were dry .....
            And the hoses at the top of the carbs between 1&2 and 3&4 are just vents , and are draped over the airbox .

Comment

That is weird they were dry. They should have been wet and smelling of fuel.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

No they don't .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  No they don't .
                  What??

I say it's coincidence.. If they were cold (not firing) and dry then no gas..
                  Maybe the floats are stuck,,

Comment

Still working

I found that the plug wires were routed wrong, so I switched them, still no good. I am going to pull the carbs off tonight, and do a thorough cleaning on them, and hopefully it will run smooth after that, other wise, I may have to pull the head make sure there is no air leakin, or other wear on the cylinders. Hopefully the carbs fix it, don't want to get to indepth into it, was hoping it was a quick fix. PS- The fuel petcock is broken, as in one of the nipples broke off, it is temp fix hooked up, but besides ebay is there anywhere else to find one, and what year span works?

Wish me luck, the Ninja is starting to be way way too borin of a ride.

Comment

Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1988 (J) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1989 (K) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1990 (L) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1991 (M) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1992 (N) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1993 (P) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1994 (R) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1995 (S) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1996 (T) FUEL_COCK_MODEL_L_M_N_P_R_S_T
                      Suzuki GSX600F KATANA 1997 (V) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1989 (K) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1990 (L) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1991 (M) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1992 (N) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1993 (P) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1994 (R) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1995 (S) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1996 (T) FUEL_COCK
                      Suzuki GSX750F KATANA 1997 (V) FUEL_COCK

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Originally posted by md86
                        No they don't .
                        What??

I say it's coincidence.. If they were cold (not firing) and dry then no gas..
                        Maybe the floats are stuck,,
                        He said "2&4 use the same coil" , but apparently edited it after I caught him .

Comment

Cleaned carbs, now what

Cleaned the carbs exactly how the carbs 101 said. Fired up, cylinder 2 and 4 still cold while 1 and 3 are extremely hot within 20 secs. I looked into the cylinders while i had the carbs off, and they were wet down all the cylinders, i am wondering if it could be a valve problem because that could be the only thing left.
                          it runs when started and idles, backfires here and there. You can rev it and besides the normal bike fire it sounds great. It won't run without the choke on full open however. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate them, its starting to really puzzle me.

Comment

Re: Cleaned carbs, now what

Originally posted by zrides
                            I looked into the cylinders while i had the carbs off, and they were wet down all the cylinders, i am wondering if it could be a valve problem because that could be the only thing left.
                            No, sorry but when you get to the end of the list it's time to start back at the top.. So you know your getting gas, and we had good compression right?
                            So it's spark.

Comment

Yeah

I swapped the plug wires around so that the non hot cylinders, went to the hot cylinders, and vice versus. Still did the same thing. So obviously were doing well with spark. Geez I have been working on cars for 8 years as a professional mechanic, I can't believe there is so much of a problem. So to sum it up
                              We have SPARK, FUEL, compression is good, but cylinders still aren't heating up. Does the pipes really get that hot, i mean 1 and 3 get burning hott in about 20 secs. Obviously with it backfiring something isn't working. The only thing I can think of is that the Valves are not opening right, or staying open, but with the good compression that doesnt make sense. Would take it to a local bike shop, but the only local one said they can take a look at it for $80 an hour, but if they can't figure it out I still have to pay the hourly rate, damn wish us car mechanics could do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X