X

D&D 1st day impression

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D&D 1st day impression

1st day driving in real world conditions (leaving early), driving a normal route so I could listen on a known ride etc.

Starting. Not bad at all. Couple notes higher than stock, not really offensive sounding in my opinion.

Rolling out of the neighborhood. Immediately shifted to 2nd and slowballed it out so I didn't piss anybody off. This pipe gets loud fast.

Any kind of speed- Loud. After reading the posts here about how loud D&D's are. To me it's definitely loud, but not as loud as I thought it might be. To me the bike sounds like an angry bee or one of those civic's with a coffee can for an exhaust pipe.

Overall- Hmm I like loud, but I think I'm going to research tones a little more on the Kat's. Anyone have a suggestion for a deeper, more like a musclecar tone? Or are all slipons on the Kat going to sound like a coffee can Civic (no offense to the import crowd LOL)

So I like the louder pipe, but I think I'd like a different tone at that volume.
    What does anyone think?

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Re: D&D 1st day impression

Originally posted by jeffro7172
    Anyone have a suggestion for a deeper, more like a musclecar tone? Or are all slipons on the Kat going to sound like a coffee can Civic (no offense to the import crowd LOL)
    They do make a solution! They're called V-twins...Ducati, TLR, SV, Aprilia, RC51, etc... Seriously though, there are pipes out there that are less raspy and shrill than the D&D. However, to some degree the "coffee can Civic" sound is going to be there. The Katana is a high-ish revving small displacement I-4 and that's pretty much the nature of the beast.

So I like the louder pipe, but I think I'd like a different tone at that volume.
    What does anyone think?
    It's no secret that I've got a very low opinion of D&D pipes. It's not so much a question of volume, as I've had some very loud bikes myself. It's the combination of volume and tone that really turns me off those pipes. They also aren't of the best design and construction, but that's to be expected for their price tag. I have owned a D&D, so I am speaking from an owner's perspective.

I think Yosh makes a great pipes. I'm not sure if they have both the Zyclone and Race baffles for the Kat, but if so that gives you some added options. The Hindles I've seen look and sound good as well. If I had a Katana, those would likely be on the short list of possibles. I had a set of the Cobra F1s pipes on my old Kat and was quite happy with the tone (though they weren't the best looking pipe out there) but I don't believe they're produced any more.
    I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

ditto the 4cyl sound, maybe a Honda VFR would sound sweet with the D&D...

As far as the difference between a 600 and a 1000 cc bike its pretty signicant with D&Ds... But both are loud no doubt.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I had a D & D and loved it. After convincing the wifey that a carbon pipe was needed I got a scorpion. Not as loud with a lower tone note. I love it too. No repacking required ever, best warranty out there.

Now a guy has the Yosh down the street on his SV and that sounds nice too but is a bit quieter. I still here him though when he turns the corner.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Do you have a sound clip of your Scorp? After the ride home, I'm liking it a little better.

Comment

D&D best sound out there IMO
            Watch for your Guardian Angel
            750 '04 Kat (blue)

Comment

I love my D and D because the tone is amongst the deepest I have heard. I like loud exhaust as a personal prefrence, I also have a gutted muffler on an 85 fiero 2m6. I just love the sound I guess, plus I felt a little bit better throttle response and gas mileage improved as well.

04 kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro7172
                Do you have a sound clip of your Scorp? After the ride home, I'm liking it a little better.
                yup it is theusualsuspect's post where he has sound clips
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

No one ever mentions Vance & Hines. I have a full V&H system on my 93 750 and it sounds sweet. It sounds tuned and not the loud hollow sound from the D&D. No offense guys but a guy that lived behind my work had a D&D on his 98+ 600 and I just didn't think it sounded tuned, just loud.

Comment

me and jeff are trading exhausts (maybe) but i love the way D & D sounds, my buddy had one on his Kawi. Im fkn stoked about tradin out

My Dad is a RockStar
                    Ask KatanaJim!!
                    ----------------------

----------------------
                    OS3 Pitrelli
                    U.S. Coast Guard
                    "Support our Troops"

Comment

yeah hurry up and get home. I've been meaning to get outside and polish it and take pics so I guess I ought to now. LOL.

Comment

Polish never fails to amaze me.

Here are a couple pics:

Links are bigger versions

and a sound clip (bike hadn't been started, cold and not too responsive. LOL but you get the idea...

Comment

yeah so ive decided Jeff!
                          Im takin it.
                          If it looks like that in real not picture life we are doing a swap in my garage!
                          shweet

My Dad is a RockStar
                          Ask KatanaJim!!
                          ----------------------

----------------------
                          OS3 Pitrelli
                          U.S. Coast Guard
                          "Support our Troops"

Comment

Originally posted by NewKatRida
                            yeah so ive decided Jeff!
                            Im takin it.
                            If it looks like that in real not picture life we are doing a swap in my garage!
                            shweet
                            LOL. It does. PM or email me so we can work out the when and everything. I still haven't seen the Yosh. WTF? LOL.

Comment

D&D Sounds amazing. To all those considering one, please don't be distracted by all the D&D haters out there. This pipe is not too loud or annoying as people make it out to be......I had a Hindle SuperSport ordered and now I'm changing my order to a D&D because I juster heard my buddie's D&D pipe that he just had installed.
                              IT SOUNDS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X