PDA

View Full Version : D&D 1st day impression

jeffro7172
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
1st day driving in real world conditions (leaving early), driving a normal route so I could listen on a known ride etc.

Starting. Not bad at all. Couple notes higher than stock, not really offensive sounding in my opinion.

Rolling out of the neighborhood. Immediately shifted to 2nd and slowballed it out so I didn't piss anybody off. This pipe gets loud fast.

Any kind of speed- Loud. After reading the posts here about how loud D&D's are. To me it's definitely loud, but not as loud as I thought it might be. To me the bike sounds like an angry bee or one of those civic's with a coffee can for an exhaust pipe.

Overall- Hmm I like loud, but I think I'm going to research tones a little more on the Kat's. Anyone have a suggestion for a deeper, more like a musclecar tone? Or are all slipons on the Kat going to sound like a coffee can Civic (no offense to the import crowd LOL)

So I like the louder pipe, but I think I'd like a different tone at that volume.
What does anyone think?

Wingspan
04-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a deeper, more like a musclecar tone? Or are all slipons on the Kat going to sound like a coffee can Civic (no offense to the import crowd LOL)

They do make a solution! They're called V-twins...Ducati, TLR, SV, Aprilia, RC51, etc...;) Seriously though, there are pipes out there that are less raspy and shrill than the D&D. However, to some degree the "coffee can Civic" sound is going to be there. The Katana is a high-ish revving small displacement I-4 and that's pretty much the nature of the beast.

So I like the louder pipe, but I think I'd like a different tone at that volume.
What does anyone think?

It's no secret that I've got a very low opinion of D&D pipes. It's not so much a question of volume, as I've had some very loud bikes myself. It's the combination of volume and tone that really turns me off those pipes. They also aren't of the best design and construction, but that's to be expected for their price tag. I have owned a D&D, so I am speaking from an owner's perspective.

I think Yosh makes a great pipes. I'm not sure if they have both the Zyclone and Race baffles for the Kat, but if so that gives you some added options. The Hindles I've seen look and sound good as well. If I had a Katana, those would likely be on the short list of possibles. I had a set of the Cobra F1s pipes on my old Kat and was quite happy with the tone (though they weren't the best looking pipe out there) but I don't believe they're produced any more.

allblackkat
04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
ditto the 4cyl sound, maybe a Honda VFR would sound sweet with the D&D...

As far as the difference between a 600 and a 1000 cc bike its pretty signicant with D&Ds... But both are loud no doubt.

KatanaSoldier
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
I had a D & D and loved it. After convincing the wifey that a carbon pipe was needed :D I got a scorpion. Not as loud with a lower tone note. I love it too. No repacking required ever, best warranty out there.

Now a guy has the Yosh down the street on his SV and that sounds nice too but is a bit quieter. I still here him though when he turns the corner.

jeffro7172
04-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Do you have a sound clip of your Scorp? After the ride home, I'm liking it a little better.

LocoKat
04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
D&D best sound out there IMO

Daemontrym
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I love my D and D because the tone is amongst the deepest I have heard. I like loud exhaust as a personal prefrence, I also have a gutted muffler on an 85 fiero 2m6. I just love the sound I guess, plus I felt a little bit better throttle response and gas mileage improved as well.

04 kat 750

KatanaSoldier
04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Do you have a sound clip of your Scorp? After the ride home, I'm liking it a little better.

yup it is theusualsuspect's post where he has sound clips

bigmatthew46
04-15-2007, 12:30 AM
No one ever mentions Vance & Hines. I have a full V&H system on my 93 750 and it sounds sweet. It sounds tuned and not the loud hollow sound from the D&D. No offense guys but a guy that lived behind my work had a D&D on his 98+ 600 and I just didn't think it sounded tuned, just loud.

NewKatRida
04-15-2007, 01:54 AM
me and jeff are trading exhausts (maybe) but i love the way D & D sounds, my buddy had one on his Kawi. Im fkn stoked about tradin out

jeffro7172
04-15-2007, 07:26 PM
yeah hurry up and get home. I've been meaning to get outside and polish it and take pics so I guess I ought to now. LOL.

jeffro7172
04-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Polish never fails to amaze me.

Here are a couple pics:
http://jeff.iv.com/katana1sm.jpg
http://jeff.iv.com/katana2sm.jpg

Links are bigger versions
http://jeff.iv.com/katana1.jpg
http://jeff.iv.com/katana2.jpg

and a sound clip (bike hadn't been started, cold and not too responsive. LOL but you get the idea...
http://jeff.iv.com/katanadd.mov

NewKatRida
04-16-2007, 03:22 AM
yeah so ive decided Jeff!
Im takin it.
If it looks like that in real not picture life we are doing a swap in my garage!
shweet

jeffro7172
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM
yeah so ive decided Jeff!
Im takin it.
If it looks like that in real not picture life we are doing a swap in my garage!
shweet

LOL. It does. PM or email me so we can work out the when and everything. I still haven't seen the Yosh. WTF? LOL.

TorontoKat
04-16-2007, 09:56 PM
D&D Sounds amazing. To all those considering one, please don't be distracted by all the D&D haters out there. This pipe is not too loud or annoying as people make it out to be......I had a Hindle SuperSport ordered and now I'm changing my order to a D&D because I juster heard my buddie's D&D pipe that he just had installed.
IT SOUNDS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TorontoKat
04-16-2007, 09:56 PM
D&D Sounds amazing. To all those considering one, please don't be distracted by all the D&D haters out there. This pipe is not too loud or annoying as people make it out to be......I had a Hindle SuperSport ordered and now I'm changing my order to a D&D because I juster heard my buddie's D&D pipe that he just had installed.
IT SOUNDS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeffro7172
04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
There are times when it is "too loud" for my personal preference. Such as having to roll out of my neighborhood being in 2nd with the r's down. But there are a lot of times on the road when I love the sound thinking it's keeping a cager at attention. I think for me overall though, I will love the sound at more times with the Yosh that I am trading into. My buddy has one on his Gixxer and it still has a growl without the WAAAAAHHHHH to it. (or so it seemed) NewKatRida better hurry up and get home to trade though because I like it more every day. LOL.
When I read the "IT'S THE LOUDEST, IT'S SO LOUD" it overhyped me on it though. I didn't think it was THAT BAD.
So I guess it's all relative. Yes I think it's probably one of the loudest pipes out there for the Kat, but overall it's not I can't hear myself think loud. I figured everyone within a mile radius would hear me coming. There was a Harley in front of me today that drowned me out easy. :)

timpryor
04-17-2007, 12:51 AM
i just got my D&D slipon as well but i really don't think its that loud but then again i compare it to my cobra thats got no cats and stright through mufflers so not much is loud to me but it sure does piss off my neighbors which makes me happy

NewKatRida
04-17-2007, 07:10 AM
NewKatRida better hurry up and get home to trade though because I like it more every day. LOL.

Hey im workin on it!!!! This Hunk of Steel that im on can only move so fast :lol:
Send me your email address Jeff, i got pics but the Connection in the middle of the damn Pacific is like 1.5 kbps!!!!! :x :x

I Will be home on the 22nd but not available till the 23rd or 24th, i got thigs to take care of first :wink: bow chika bow bow

WildKat
04-17-2007, 10:23 AM
D&D is an aquired taste, usually you either love it or you hate it. Personally I don't mind them, but they are loud. Ive got a Vance & Hines that I just love.

Im actually going to post up a sound clip of it later this evening if you're interested in hearing it on a 2000 Kat 750. :)

jeffro7172
04-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I Will be home on the 22nd but not available till the 23rd or 24th, i got thigs to take care of first :wink: bow chika bow bow

ROFL. You do what you gotta do man. I'll PM you my email address.

LocoKat
04-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Well I just got my new Carbon Slip :-D on and like always D&D sound is amazing.BTW to who ever is looking into a D&D slip on I got this one for $253 (brand new) shipping included. Here's the name of the place; Hyperformanceparts.com only took a week 4 delivery. :D

dat1boyjay
04-17-2007, 07:44 PM
I've had a Carbon Fiber D&D pipe on my 05 Kat 600 for two years now, I absolutely LOVE it!!! And I think jeffro7172 is right on the money about grabbing a cager's attention, there's no doubt in cager's mind that there's a bike in the vicinity when the D&D is roaring!!!!!!

GregS
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Did the D&D can come with the intermediate pipe or do you need to "cut" the stock muffler off?
And thanks for the suggested store. Prices look good. It would be nice if they had more exhaust selection other than D&D though.

LocoKat
04-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Is a slip on you just removed the stock muffler and install the half pipe & the can.Let me tell you I thought it was a typo ($250 carbon slip on) so I called and confirmed with them, now I got a carbon Slip on brand new for less than 275